Numpty Q, making horse work properly from behind.

stencilface

High upon a hillside
Visit site
OK, so have just had the chiro out to give the horses a once over, honestly didn't think there would be much wrong, given that he is jumping etc everything fine. Apparently (having not been able to be there for the visit) horse was very sore and tight in his neck and needs to work more long and low and from behind. Horse apparently almost sat on the floor
frown.gif

I lunge probably once a week or so, admittedly not with the luxury of a school, so am on almost even grass field. I lunge in a chambon, and its the first time I have done consistent lunging in an attempt to get my horse to work long and low and from behind!! I thought I was (for once!) doing things a bit more properly.
frown.gif

So how to I (either ridden or on the lunge) make the horse work more from behind. He is quite lazy, but still tracks up most of the time and overtracks when (well, when I thought he was!) working properly. He can quite happily go round a discovery in a nice easy going canter with no probs. (although I need more 'bounce' in his canter really to go any higher).

Thanks to anyone who replies
smile.gif

Sal_E

Visit site
Hmmm, the chambon may help create an 'outline' but it doesn't really do anything to encourage the back end. A pessoa type gadget is better for that as it does shove them up the bum, but in reality, I don't think it's something you're going to crack with lunging if the horse isn't naturally inclined. I'm afraid it's going to have to come from schooling & ideally with some help from an instructor. It would help to do lots of transitions & lateral work, anything to get the horse really 'working', but I think it would be very hard for someone on here to fully answer your question - you probably need a bit of help from an instructor.

stencilface

High upon a hillside
Visit site
I know, I am going to have some flatwork lessons (have them sporadically due to work and life getting in the way
frown.gif
). I do try and make him move forwards when on the lunge but I do see your point.

Maybe will try and get a lesson this weekend then, can't ride today, but hopefully he will be fully recovered in a couple of days.

Thanks for the input, think I need to find a better rider for him now!
blush.gif
smile.gif

stencilface

High upon a hillside
Visit site
I mostly do hacking, lots of hills, and their field is pretty steep in places!!

But will be hacking out in straight lines this weekend to get him back slowly
smile.gif