Numpty question about saddle pads

ecb89

Visit site
Sorry about the really stupid question but I'm new to horse ownership.
My horse has a working hunter saddle which came with him. If I want to buy a new saddle pad do I need the dressage square shape or the more forward cut GP shape.
So for Le Mieux you have the big dressage square shape, the GP and then the close contact. Im guessing it's the GP.
I sound so stupid. Sorry.

Leo Walker

Visit site
I've got a working hunter saddle and tend to use dressage shaped pads. I definitely use dressage in the Le Mieux.

Ignore the scruffy hairy pony! But thats a dressage pad under a WH saddle

14446050_10154060441178667_4023867943271204625_n.jpg

Last edited:

KittenInTheTree

Visit site
My horse has a working hunter saddle which came with him. If I want to buy a new saddle pad do I need the dressage square shape or the more forward cut GP shape.
So for Le Mieux you have the big dressage square shape, the GP and then the close contact. Im guessing it's the GP.

I have the dressage square for mine too, but that's because all we do at present is hack! If you were going to do any working hunter classes or other showing, then you'd need a GP one in a neutral colour :)

ecb89

Visit site
No plans on showing just yet. He's currently on box rest for the next few weeks as well :(
Any colour ideas. He does look good in baby blue

007Equestrian

Visit site
I have the dressage square for mine too, but that's because all we do at present is hack! If you were going to do any working hunter classes or other showing, then you'd need a GP one in a neutral colour :)

Or if you're competing in workers/showing ideally a working hunter numnah - these are designed to fit workers saddles closely.

http://www.lemieuxproducts.com/lemi...ng/lambskin-working-hunter-numnah-brown-brown

Most seriously into showing (HOYS/RI level) will get a Mattes numnah made to fit their saddle exactly with minimal excess visible. However unless you're planning a trip to the NEC or Hickstead a dressage square will be perfect for any showjumping/dressage/eventing you will be doing.

007Equestrian

Visit site
No plans on showing just yet. He's currently on box rest for the next few weeks as well :(

And I love chestnuts in forest green! I know people who did their unaffiliated cross country phases in a south african rugby top, green racesafe body protector and a green and gold hat silk on their chestnut gelding and it really suited him!

KittenInTheTree

Visit site

Very handsome, lovely colour too :) I think that nice bright blue he has in the photo, or perhaps a strong jade green?

Reacher

Visit site
This is totally off-topic but I have twice bought a horse who's previous saddle caused extensive injury to their back muscles. In both cases the damage wasn't picked up by a pre purchase vet exam. So I would advise you to have saddle fit checked by a good saddle fitter and horse's back checked by an a acpat physio just to be sure. Sorry this is off-topic but as you say you are new to horse ownership and that the saddle came with the horse I thought it might be helpful. With regard to the saddle pad you want one that isn't too thick and is shaped so it doesn't rub.