numpty question, butadvice needed

Pancakes

Visit site
ok so, noticed my horse had quite a large spint on the lateral aspect of his right forelimb 2day and a lot of heat as well as showing slight lameness in trot. so far i have just cold hosed it but.....
ok so here comes the numpty questions..........
1. whats the best way of dealing with this
confused.gif
crazy.gif

2. should i stable him (he is currently living out 24/7)?
3. Bandage?
4. your plane useless and shouldn't own a horse?
blush.gif
smirk.gif
grin.gif

thanx in advance for any replys

china

Visit site
i assume you mean splint ??

if so, i would just cold hose and rest while the new bone forms and till the horse is sound.

teddyt

Visit site
Cold hose regularly, several times a day. Restrict exercise, either by stabling and/or a very small paddock. Use a tubigrip or bandage if you are good enough at it. But bandage both front legs. If no improvement in a couple of days get vet out. If its on the lateral forelimb it may be a kick/knock rather than concussion from weightbearing and so it would be safer to get it xrayed in case of a chip/crack.

_OC_

Visit site
You do not say how old your horse is?
Is there heat and pain when touched,is your horse's conformation good,is his shoeing good.........my old TB mare developed quite a big one alot of years ago,and I went on my vets advice....I would be inclined to call my Vet out to inspect it,and take it from there TBH!
smile.gif

ihatework

Visit site
Personally I would keep in until the initial heat and main lameness has gone.

Cold therapy as often as you can, hosepipe/ice whatever you have

I would be inclined not to bandage, but that is more personal preference

I'd also speak to vet and get okay to shovel some bute in

Pancakes

Visit site
thanx everyone. with it being on the lateral aspect i also thought it may be from him clowning around in the field rather than work related.

O_C_ my horse is a 13yr old connemara x dales (the grey moose in my siggy) his feet are good shape and quality even with a rubbish farrier shoeing him.

teddyt - if i was going to bandage what type of bandages dont have any tubigrip?

sorry for the dumb questions

teddyt

Visit site
I meant either use a tubigrip (from chemists) to give support or if you can bandage well enough use stable bandages over fibregee. If you are not very good at bandaging tubigrip is safer. Either way do it on both front legs, not just the injured one
smile.gif

kellyeaton

Visit site
keep in and rest keep cold hosing give some bute and you can buy an product from global herbs called splint it is a soothing cream and something you spray in there mouth i have not used it but heard some good things about it!