Numptys

eahotson

Visit site
Sorry got to say this. No ONE on here has obviously been a learner. We are all OBVIOUSLY fABULOUS RIDERS WHO never MAKE A MISTAKE AND HAVE NEVER HAD TO BE TAUGHT, LEAST OF ALL, horror BY A riding school INSTRUCTOR WHO obviously WOULDN'T HAVE EITHER THE TALENT OR KNOWLEDGE FOR PEOPLE LIKE US.Sorry caps lock sticking. Honestly I do feel this term is really patronizing and putting down. I still feel I am a numpty at times.

K9Wendy

Visit site
Hate that word.... Numpty! Especially when used by folks my age (ah hum... over forty!) sort of word that sounds better coming out of a teenager's mouth! Too modern for me!

eahotson

Visit site
Its the casual assumption by some people that someone who does not ride as well as themselves is a NUMPTY. No its not a word I use myself either, I learnt it on this forum.We all have our faults and our strengths as riders and some people who don't ride particularly well just haven't had the oportunity to learn properly.There may well be some budding stars amongst them if they are given the chance.

SirenaXVI

s17.photobucket.com
errrrrrrrrr OK - what brought this on?

I personally don't believe ANYONE on here would call someone who is learning to ride a numpty (and I'm over 40 too btw), nor would they call someone who does not ride very well but is trying to improve a numpty - a numpty, in my world anyway, is someone who rides badly (hurting the horse in the process) and is so full of themselves that they think they are good. Hell I frequently refer to myself as a numpty
grin.gif
Just MHO
crazy.gif

eahotson

Visit site
Actually I have read quite a few posts referring quite casually to numpties, this is where I learnt this word, I had to ask what it meant.Remarks such as riding school horses that have numpties on them all day.That sort of thing. I love my riding but its only since I have been older that I have had the money for a horse of my own and the sort of teaching that I like and have been in a position to judge how well i am being taught as well.I am not a natural rider by any means and there are a lot of people like me and I just hate them being put down. There are people who are bad riders and are resistant to any form of teaching and regard themselves as wonderful. They are numpties yes. Met them in the competition world though actually. One had 4 ponies to jump and the poor unfortunate child (stop here for a sob
grin.gif
) hadn't got ONE decent one. They ALL let her down (even when she took the wrong course).

SirenaXVI

s17.photobucket.com
[ QUOTE ]
One had 4 ponies to jump and the poor unfortunate child (stop here for a sob ) hadn't got ONE decent one. They ALL let her down (even when she took the wrong course).

[/ QUOTE ]

Now THAT sounds like a jumpy numpty
grin.gif
grin.gif
Sorry, in all seriousness she sounds like several numpties that I have met, and they are not all kids either

mad.gif

Parkranger

Visit site
I have used this expression when talking about people who rode my horse before I brought him from a riding school. He was there for 4 months and although I didn't know him before I blame the school for putting novices on a TB - he honestly thought he was a racing giraffe when I brought him!

Never would I say that about a beginner or novice rider who was really willing to learn adn put the time and effort in!

AliJo

Visit site
At my old livery yard we were referred to as Numptys by another yard but our horses were happy and so were we and we ended up calling ourselves the Numpty yard and laughingly took the mick out of each other when we did something not quite right in their books.
grin.gif
I quite agree that, unless you've had the opportunity to have lessons from an early start and a great horse to learn on, then you're not going to be as good as others but it doesn't bother me.

Tia

Visit site
I meet numpties every single day - is it patronising? Not to me - it is a just and accurate description.

Numpty means fool - yes that is a good description. I meet lots of foolish people on a regular basis
smile.gif

sammys ma

Visit site
I thought it was a Sottish turn of phrase too!

Been using it for years....as in "You total Numpty"...often said to friends and family in an endearing way, when they have done something really stupid .

Another great Glsawegian term is "Fud" anyone care to guess what that means? ;0)))

Clodagh

Visit site
Numpties will be out in force at the Opening Meet...they come out twice a year and have lovely shiney red coats and shiney horses and go home at the first ditch...
smirk.gif

I love the word numpty, really sums some people up, but I would never use it the way EAH is referring to.