Nurses with horses

YogaNurse

Visit site
Hi all! I’m due to finish my nursing degree in the summer and am thinking about getting another horse 🤔😬

I have been sharing one for the past few months but before that had a break for about 3 years.

Would love to hear of other nurses with horses and how you cope not only time wise but financially and what compromises you guys have made to keep your neddies!

fathorselover

Visit site
It's quite simple for me, I've got one that lives out all year round, that gets checked on/fed by the yard owner on days when I'm working. This works well for me as working from 7 until 7.30 there's no way I could realistically have a stabled horse unless full livery which is unaffordable. I'm lucky in that my yard has a mahoosive 60 acre odd field with tonnes and tonnes of shelter - horse heaven!

YogaNurse

Visit site
Oh amazing, that would be ideal. I’m in Bristol and it’s quite limited for yard options -another reason why I need to think very carefully!

fathorselover

Visit site
I would perhaps look at smaller farms etc that may have year round grazing. I'm lucky in that I'm fairly rural, but I'm sure that places like that must exist everywhere. It depends on what you want in the way of facilities, where I am is a little run down, although there is a good stable block (I never use my stable), and the arena isn't great, but they are the happiest horses in their turnout and the hacking is great!

Orangehorse

Visit site
My friend has recently retired from nursing when she did a lot of night duty. Hers all live out 24/7 and they were fed once a day in the morning. They went in the stable while she cleared the field. Since they are all forage fed she could ride straight away, then after riding, which might be a hack or schooling, the horse was turned out and then go home to sleep! I think she has a friend who used to help out sometimes.

YogaNurse

Visit site
I would perhaps look at smaller farms etc that may have year round grazing. I'm lucky in that I'm fairly rural, but I'm sure that places like that must exist everywhere. It depends on what you want in the way of facilities, where I am is a little run down, although there is a good stable block (I never use my stable), and the arena isn't great, but they are the happiest horses in their turnout and the hacking is great!

Your set up sounds fab! I will have to source something like you’ve suggested nearer to the time. I’d love somewhere that is friendly and has good hacking and everyday turnout, I would sacrifice a school and make do with riding in a field when I can! Fingers crossed the right yard will come up once I’ve got my new job 🤞🏼

YogaNurse

Visit site
My friend has recently retired from nursing when she did a lot of night duty. Hers all live out 24/7 and they were fed once a day in the morning. They went in the stable while she cleared the field. Since they are all forage fed she could ride straight away, then after riding, which might be a hack or schooling, the horse was turned out and then go home to sleep! I think she has a friend who used to help out sometimes.

I am thinking if I am going to be a nurse and own a horse it will definitely need to stay out as much as poss! Glad your friend managed to do this - gives me some hope 😬

JDH01

Visit site
I have nursed full time for 38 years, horses x2 for 20 of those on full livery, I ride at 06.30 in winter when they are in full time

ShowJumperBeckii

Visit site
I'm a hca so work excatly same 12.5 hour shifts as nurses and am on diy with help of turn out and bringing in with two so after nights I shall muck out and ride and after long days I get to at 8pm and do the same it's tiring but it does work x

Lintel

Visit site
Studying nursing too- working as CSW in A&E too so also on 12.5 hour shifts.
I manage great now the horse at at my own place but defintley find a yard with turnout as others have said- and make a good friend that can bring in etc for you. When I was at a yard with 0 winter turnout previously I was lucky and had my dad to give him his evening bet and feed. I just got up early mucked out I and went up late and mucked out. I deep littered cutting the time when I was working and fully mucking on my days off.
Or you could also normal job it and work 9-5 clincs? All depends on where you want to work I suppose.
But good luck and well done on being near the end!!