NW Showjumping Venues?

Amaretto

Visit site
Please can anyone give me some pointers on where to take my green 6yo showjumping in the NW?

Clear round, 75cm type courses. Half sensible collecting rings! Confidence giving etc.

A lot of stuff is mid week which would be a struggle due to work commitments, unless it started at around 7pm to account for travel and warming up.

Thanks for your help. :)

diggerbez

Visit site
i would probably travel a bit further as not very keen on many of the more local venues (although having said that Bold Heath is ok- but can get a bit mental for unaffiliated). Sykehouse, Port Royal and Richmond would probably be my first choices for quiter/larger working in etc etc

Amaretto

Visit site
i would probably travel a bit further as not very keen on many of the more local venues (although having said that Bold Heath is ok- but can get a bit mental for unaffiliated). Sykehouse, Port Royal and Richmond would probably be my first choices for quiter/larger working in etc etc

Ta D. Hence my post, found local venues to be a bit of a free for all, even horrid for an experienced horse at times. :-O

Mrs Pink

Visit site
Agree with Quirky, Myerscough is good and would also try Church Farm, which I know is mainly evening, but they have done clear round on a Saturday through the Summer so keep an eye out on their calendar, they also did combined training last year at various heights and not too busy either :D

diggerbez

Visit site
see i definitely wouldn't take a young horse to barton (collecting ring is tiny not helped by the addition of a horsewalker!), osbaldeston (ditto collecting ring and the surface is getting very slippy on some of the corners in the main ring) or aintree- waaaay too busy and very 'in your face'..... forgot about myerscough though- nice big working in- although usually gets manic and very busy....

Amaretto

Visit site
see i definitely wouldn't take a young horse to barton (collecting ring is tiny not helped by the addition of a horsewalker!), osbaldeston (ditto collecting ring and the surface is getting very slippy on some of the corners in the main ring) or aintree- waaaay too busy and very 'in your face'..... forgot about myerscough though- nice big working in- although usually gets manic and very busy....

Thanks for your responses, but DB knows where I am coming from!! Anyone got any other ideas - really don't want to subject him to overly busy collecting rings just yet?

Baggybreeches

www.photobucket.com

I do see your point but and it's a big BUT and only my opinion, it's better to get them used to this stuff when they are raw and don't know any better. The whole 'collecting ring paranoia' is something which is completely unnecessary, I know that Sov is stressed in collecting rings but then TBF he only goes jumping once in a blue moon, maybe because I spent so many weekends trolling round the collecting rings at Osbaldeston and Barton, they just don't seem so bad to me.
I could show you pictures of some of the local places we used to jump at (mostly riding schools with indoor arenas) and I promise you wouldn't believe you could fit 2 jumps in let alone a full course!

Amaretto

Visit site
Hi Baggybreeches. See your point, but I would rather get him used to it gradually than chuck him in at the deep end. Some collecting rings are downright dangerous. He is sensitive, and I honestly feel it would blow his brain. Down to the individual horse I guess on how to go about it, but for Uno, I'd like to keep it as stress free as possible early doors so he can concentrate on jumping.

Baggybreeches

www.photobucket.com
Hi Baggybreeches. See your point, but I would rather get him used to it gradually than chuck him in at the deep end. Some collecting rings are downright dangerous. He is sensitive, and I honestly feel it would blow his brain. Down to the individual horse I guess on how to go about it, but for Uno, I'd like to keep it as stress free as possible early doors so he can concentrate on jumping.

Fair do's, what about getting a few of your friends together and hiring somewhere for 5 or 6 horses, that way they get the best of both worlds and it is a bit cheaper all round :)

diggerbez

Visit site
I do see your point but and it's a big BUT and only my opinion, it's better to get them used to this stuff when they are raw and don't know any better. The whole 'collecting ring paranoia' is something which is completely unnecessary, I know that Sov is stressed in collecting rings but then TBF he only goes jumping once in a blue moon, maybe because I spent so many weekends trolling round the collecting rings at Osbaldeston and Barton, they just don't seem so bad to me.
I could show you pictures of some of the local places we used to jump at (mostly riding schools with indoor arenas) and I promise you wouldn't believe you could fit 2 jumps in let alone a full course!

i honestly think it depends on the horse. with my little TB i did the whole osbaldeston/barton thing...but V would kill me- i'm entirely convinced- even now. the first show i went to with him was dressage at richmond- there was one person in the arena with me and they came vaguely close- he went loopy and i fell off- ergo i think osbaldeston would flip his mind! amaretto's horse is quite similar to mine and very sharp to boot- hence her concern :)