Oasby BE! beware

popsdosh

Visit site
Yesterday afternoon was sunny and as the sun got low shadows gave real problems for riders with a lot of stops in the 100 although i am sure others would have suffered as well from approx 16.00 on all at fences 6&7 so anybody going your warned . Wont mention the idiots name who left their two horses to the last two to go meaning us FJs had 25mins to kill when we were ready to get home words fail me.

Fidgety

Visit site
If I'd known you were there, I'd have waved as we walked past (not riding, but checking out venue because I'm helping there tomorrow) :).

It was a glorious day, but I can well imagine that it wouldn't have been easy at all by that time - and from looking at the results list the effect the sun had is marked! Think I've worked out your 'eejit':biggrin3:

Who's going tomorrow? :)

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Eep, you'd have hoped that the course designer would have taken the effect of a low sun into consideration when siting the jumps.

There was a rider fatality years ago at, I think, the Parkgate horse trials on the Wirral which was blamed on the dazzling effect of low sun, it was believed that the horse didn't see the jump.

And grr to the competitor who kept you all late, by the end of a long day everyone's had enough and wants to go home!

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
I had a frustrating stop at a smallish fence at a CCI* right at the end of Millie's eventing career, as we were jumping a quarry fence into the low sun. They took the fence out of the course later in the day because it was causing problems. It's so tricky at the beginning and end of the season when the sun is so low.

Sadly for me the penalties stood even though the fence wasn't in the course for people following me :( Hey ho!

popsdosh

Visit site
Eep, you'd have hoped that the course designer would have taken the effect of a low sun into consideration when siting the jumps.

There was a rider fatality years ago at, I think, the Parkgate horse trials on the Wirral which was blamed on the dazzling effect of low sun, it was believed that the horse didn't see the jump.

And grr to the competitor who kept you all late, by the end of a long day everyone's had enough and wants to go home!

It wasnt low sun that was spooking the horses but shadows! The one fence that suffered low sun was taken out.

Durhamchance

Visit site
Slightly off topic, but Oasby is on my doorstep. If I wasn't full of cold we had talked about popping over to watch. Is that acceptable? Do people just go and watch? I've never been to a ODE and would love to take part one day.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
Slightly off topic, but Oasby is on my doorstep. If I wasn't full of cold we had talked about popping over to watch. Is that acceptable? Do people just go and watch? I've never been to a ODE and would love to take part one day.

YES! Do go and watch.

Some BE events you have to pay a fee to go and watch, but, I have not said this elsewhere, but I lost my horse Jay on Monday to Wobblers, and today my lovely OH went to Oasby to see a potential new mount, as I was teaching and could not go personally.

I warned him he may have to pay £5 to go in the car, but he reported back that no, it was free entry. He had a nice day, watched the potential new horse in dressage and SJ, took some video, had a burger and has come home happy.

Go tomorrow and have a ball. Have a burger, have an ice cream.

You never know, next time you may be a fence judge :)

Durhamchance

Visit site
Thank you :) I'm working tomorrow sadly, but will bear it in mind for next time. OH has booked a day off so we can go to Belton at the end of the month, but I know we have to pay there.

Fidgety

Visit site
There's another one there in October Durhamchance - 14-15th.

Fingers crossed for your potential new horse Red-1, so sorry to hear about your boy :(.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
Very sorry about Jay, Red. Hope new horse works out

Thank you. He has been a mild wobbler for over a year. I knew it was just a matter of time. After steroid treatment we had a nice summer light hacking last year. He was rested over the winter as he became a bit stumbley, but it was apparent it was on a downhill, so I let him go.