Oats.. how much?

K4thy

Visit site
I am feeding Flo on just a mug of Lo-Cal Balancer with a Handful of Alfafa-A, Linseed oil and oats for the extra energy but Im not sure how much of the stuff I can feed her.

Currently she is having two standard sized mugs in each feed and to be honest it doesnt seem to be doing much, if anything really... I was just after any opinions as I dont know what is too much for a horse that doesnt seem to get hyped up on them??

PapaFrita

pilar-larcade.com
Whole oats, soak for 12-24 hours and drain (i drilled holes in a bucket and put it in another one and then you can just lift it out and leave to strain). Totally brilliant
smile.gif
You should also add alfalfa (a double handful of alfa-A for instance)

Saf

community.webshots.com
I can second how fantastic soaked outs are, thanks PF
cool.gif

Saf has been on them for 2 months now and she looks fab, she was not eating up esp after an event but now eats up and is looking fab too
grin.gif

PapaFrita

pilar-larcade.com
That's really great to hear! I looooooooove oats. Wish I'd known about them years ago (might've saved a tiny bit of money too) Have you noticed you need to feed less too? PF, who's always been a skinny arse, is getting less than quite alot of the other horses at the yard even though she's in much heavier work
smile.gif

Saf

community.webshots.com
Feeding bit less but not too much as she is in very hard work at the mo, just cant believe how well she looks, it was only before the change to oats I posted a pic of Saf jumping and a few peeps told me she looked light
ooo.gif
She is now eventing every 2 weeks and looks well and fit, seems to have more shine too
wink.gif
and I just know she would be very grumpy if she did not have them
grin.gif

Thanks again for the fact sheet
smile.gif

so03

Visit site
Please remember to feed limestone flour (or similar) as oats calcium/phosphorus ratio is incorrect. Oats need a supplement of calcium to maintain the correct balance.

If a horse is fed oats on a regular basis without the supplement of calcium, the body will need to get the calcium from another source, mainly the bones of the horse.