Oats v Copra v Re-leve

Matafleur

Visit site
Also in Horsecare & Feeding but figure I might have more luck here...

I'm getting to the stage where I will be needing to feed my horse a bit more feed, I needed to strip a bit of weight off him after summer but he now looks great and I want to maintain that.

He is currently turned out for a minimum of 14 hours and comes in during the day for me to ride and to eat his hard feed. There is loads of grass in the field but obviously the quality is dropping off now. He gets ad lib hay whilst in and hard feed of:

Half scoop of rolled, soaked oats
Mug and a half of micro linseed
Salt
Pro balance
Scoop of healthy hooves molasses free

I was feeding a bit of speedibeet but he really isn't keen and just picks it out, if I put too much in he just won't touch the feed.

He isn't the type to hot up I don't think but he's barefoot so I need to consider that when choosing feed.

Am I better upping the oats, which he at least seems to like, or trying something like 're-leve? What quantity of oats can I safely feed if needs be?

I should add that I'm happy with his current conditions but his work will be increasing while the grass quality declines.

JoJo_

Visit site
A lot of people on my yard who were feeding Re-leve are now feeding Thrive. May be worth investigating as is supposedly good for digestion, hooves and everything.

Piglet

Visit site
I feed my horse Re-Leve, he can become very exciteable but needs to have a hard feed as at 17, I have monthly sometimes 2 monthly lessons plus dressage and I found his energy fading (to the point that I was going to cut back work dramatically). Since feeding Re-Leve, he has energy, stamina and calmness. I alter the amount as to rte work he is diubg

Matafleur

Visit site
Thanks for the comments - I haven't heard of Thrive, will Google in a minute :)

Good to know that the Re-Leve works, I am wondering if just upping the oats may be enough but I need to keep feeds quite small as he isn't the best eater of hard food. Oddly he loves the chaff!