Obtain full known pedigree for foal

gnubee

Visit site
I am trying to get hold of the full known pedigree of my foal for a project. Sporthorse database etc seem to have the data, but will only go back 5 generations. I know they have plenty more info than that as I can go back a further 5 on his 5th gen ancestors etc. Cobbling it together myself like this is very time consuming, and very frustrating as I know it exists in database format.

I have contacted Sporthorse database to see if I could buy a full download of his tree but received no response. Does anyone know of a facility that will provide the tree right back as far as records go?

popsdosh

Visit site
You will need to do your own research! Sports horse database is put together by volunteers on the whole and to be honest some bits cannot be taken as correct as many parts are just loaded by horse owners(or indeed anybody) and mistakes happen. If the horse is TB it would be a lot easier.

Tetrarch 1911

Visit site
The new version of the SHD is a wee bit frustrating, and often isn't up to date, but as you've discovered, if you click on the horses in the 5th generation you can keep going further back. There is also the All Breed Pedigrees and TB pedigree databases, which - while not infallible - are pretty good. A lot of individual breed societies also have databases you can work with.

http://www.pedigreequery.com/

http://www.allbreedpedigree.com/

What is your horse's breeding? If he's WB I'm sure our WB folks can guide you through that particular maze!

Google 'pedigree forms' and you can get free download forms that you can print out and fill in to your heart's content. But if you want to go back as far as you can go, be aware you'll need a lot of them - TBs go back to the 17th century, for example! I doubt you'll get hold of a print-out of his entire pedigree to the year dot, so having to do it yourself will probably be the result. Mind you, I always think that's most of the fun! Good luck!