obtaining height certificate - how is it done?

DressageCob

Visit site
Hello!

Having had a go at showing this season with my new boy, I fancy doing a bit more. I realise that to do *proper* cob showing I will need a height certificate. I'm not really sure how to get one, what I need to do to prepare etc. Can anyone assist?

This is for hogged cob classes. I'm hoping to measure in to do heavyweight cobs but may just sneak into maxi (which I doubt would be ideal since most maxis seem well over 15.1hh!)

Thank you :)

catroo

Visit site
Look at the Joint Measurement Boards website, that's the uks national scheme.

There's a list of official measurers so you can search who close to you and you with them direct.

Obviously shoes off and feet tidy, if it's going to be tight I'd freshly hog him as he's a cob, so no hair getting in the way.
Practise standing square and holding it so they are relaxed as possible.

In my experience, most horses are a lot smaller than you think they are when officially measured

Chuffy99

Visit site
Shoes off and well trimmed if it's going to be tight, practice with the measuring stick, you can improvise so he's not worried and get him used to standing with his head level with his withers. On the day get there in plenty of time, if he needs settling ask if he can be lunged in the arena to relax, take your time on the pad, don't be rushed and stay calm with treats if it helps, don't forget your documentation and payment printout.

conniegirl

Visit site
Also if this is the first certificate then do not get one untill January as they run from Jan to Jan so no point getting into now

Chuffy99

Visit site
Or get one late December with one vet and keep shoes off and get your full cert from another vet in January if you're 7 and over

bliss87

Visit site
We got a height certificate this year and the rules on how they stand etc seem to have changed ponies head had to be held up stood square (no front leg forward like you used to be able to) and also you have to stay in the box for 20min start and finish have to be noted on jmb website when they do you height cert

Maxi is nothing to with bone it purely height if you are over 155cm then you are a maxi

DressageCob

Visit site
Thank you all. I think it merits more research! The horse is 7 so I think that means I can get a life certificate.

On the maxi thing, my horse has enough bone not to look weedy but when I've watched the proper maxi classes most of the horses seem to be hogged IDs who are well over 16hh so I'm conscious we may look weedy in comparison. That's why I'm hoping to measure in. Obviously not going to the ridiculous lengths of dehydrating etc to shrink the horse!

Thanks all for the help :)

catroo

Visit site
I don't think you can get a life certificate from the off from memory, hence the suggestion for one measure in December and one in January

conniegirl

Visit site
To get a life heigh you have to have at least one annual certificate prior to the measuring and the annual and the life have to be done by different vets