OCD while working with horses..

MissDeMeena

Visit site
Just a thought i had today.. I hate other poeple tacking up for me!! don't ask me why, i just don't like it..
Anyway, today i had to help someone with another horse, while someone else tacked up for me.. before i got on the horse, i must of undone the girth, moved the saddle/pads around 100s of times, and then when i got on, i must of checked my girth 100s of times!!

Anyone else got any silly things like that!!??

bandit

Visit site
well i don't but i groomed for a girl this summer eventing and i wasn't allowed to put boots on (travelling or competition) i was allowed to do saddle / bridle though!

weird...

i htink for me it depends who is tacking up the horse, but generally i like doing the saddle myself, bridle less so. and i'm told i have OCD in the office!!!

Bx

Sarah1

Visit site
I have to check that the stable doors are bolted about 10 times before I leave the yard in the evening! Even if I have just watched someone fasten the door I will still check it myself several times - it's like a running joke now with my niece! I am completely paranoid that the horses will escape and be off over the fields never to be seen again!
Also no-one mucks out the way I do but I think that most horsey people feel like that - it's quite a personal thing I think (or maybe I'm just weird!)!

Twiglet

Visit site
Hate other people tacking up or grooming my horse......but i think that's because I'm an overprotective mother rather than OCD sufferer!

I do have to make sure the grooves between my rubber mats are constantly cleared out though, it drives me mad, maybe that's a bit OCD'ish?!

Nic

Visit site
The only peple a;lowed to tack up other than m,e are my Mum & my best friend, no one is allowed to do my XC boots or studs though
blush.gif

And I am a bit OCD about mucking out
grin.gif

siennamum

Visit site
My friend Sarah & sweeping.... definitely a bit OCD.
Also her and mucking out......

Me - I don't care...
grin.gif
tongue.gif
(though I do check all the doors a couple of times when I 've put them all to bed
crazy.gif
)

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
Visit site
Have to say I am bit the same - I like to do it myself. Mucking out is same - had someone do it for me over crimbo as I went away and in my opinion it was awful compared to what I do.

cazza

community.webshots.com
Me, I'm the same as you, probably because we had someone on our yard who had a tendancy to not shut doors properly and you would quite often find a horse walking around the yard. I also agree on the mucking out. I will let someone else tack up my horse for me but I will always do my own boots/bandages. I will then always check the tack as well. So yes me an OCD sufferer also
smile.gif

RunToEarth

Visit site
Yup I wont have anybody tack up for me, even when it isnt my horse, or one I usually ride. My first ride on Jasp was out hunting, and the saddle still had to be faffed with beofreI felt safe to get on. I let my mum and Bekka help sometimes at competiton because they know what im like, I groom for bekka so vice versa. I hate people mucking out for me, they always do it differently, appart from mum, who was my teacher. Silly things like that annoy me, the way my beds are banked up, the buckets the sugarbeet is soaked in, the way my rugs are hung, I am alone in my yard, just me and the horses, so when someone ripples that I get mad, and then at Bekkas we are two peas out of the same pod, so no problems there. The big problem is when I ride for Jo, her tackroom is messy and backwards, and her jumps are stacked wrong in the arena
grin.gif

MissDeMeena

Visit site
Hehe, i used to be like that Rosie with rugs, buckets, stacking jumps etc.. untill i worked in a few yards, and it all takes too long!!
So you could say my standards have slipped a bit
frown.gif

And i forgot to add.. rugging up!!! other people can't put rugs on properly haha..

Am quite happy to let other people muckout for me tho hehe.

kick_On

Visit site
I have no problem with folk tacking up for or doing any work around the yard

BUT - THEY HAD BETTER DO IT PROPERLY!!!!
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif
OR I SHOUT!!!

So, i really only have my best friend groom for me and she briliant and looks after me (ex professional groom)

So i know i'm fussy, but is that OCD????????

RunToEarth

Visit site
Dont speak to me about rugs!! Oh my mum is terrible for layering rugs, even when she watches me do it, she is such a fussy horsewoman, I think this is where I pick it up from. Boots at competitions, she has to make sure they are perfect, I guess that isnt too bad though, bless her!

Nickymac

Visit site
I'm the same about tacking up and boots, particularly at competitions. Things I've picked up on in the past are: too tight throatlashes, browbands squashing ears, mane and forelock not lying flat under headpiece, girths on 1st and 2nd straps not 1st and 3rd, martingales not central between their front legs................whadya mean I'm fussy??!!
tongue.gif

and taking boots off and not velcro-ing them up as a pair (or individually if they're going in the wash!)

and I always like to be the one to wash my ponies off afterwards, in case someone misses a bit!

God help me if I ever have the luxury of a groom - fairly unlikely though that is.

MissDeMeena

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
So i know i'm fussy, but is that OCD????????

[/ QUOTE ]

No, there's a difference obviously between fussy and OCD.. i just surprised myself today, by re. doing the saddle about 100 times.. and then when i got on the horse, checking the girth 100 times.. i'm really fussy about how the pads sit under the saddle, and if someone else has tacked up for me, i worry that they're going to move!
I never do this when i've tacked it up myself, even tho the end result probably doesn't look much different to how the other person had done it.

RunToEarth

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
i'm really fussy about how the pads sit under the saddle, and if someone else has tacked up for me, i worry that they're going to move!

[/ QUOTE ]
Ah but I can relate so much to this, after I hunted a little mare last season for a lady, and mid gallop polypad&gelpad flew off
crazy.gif

Forget_Me_Not

Visit site
I have OCD with horses.... i'm very padantic.... clean tack every day, stable is spotless, banks ruler straight, flatten for neatness, and sweep to perfection.... No horse cant have a stable stain.... Grooming kit is cleaned daily, Every thing as its own spot and must be in that spot!! I also have troubles with out horses.... Weight, Over washing.... Etc Etc but havn't had my horse complain!! But I get so angry when people mess up my ways though
blush.gif
crazy.gif

MissDeMeena

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I also have troubles with out horses.... Weight, Over washing.... Etc Etc but havn't had my horse complain!! But I get so angry when people mess up my ways though
blush.gif
crazy.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Now that i certainly don't suffer from.. i'll use dish cloths to clean my boots while leaving the dirty one on the side/table!!
Yeah yeah yeah, grim i know, but i'm still alive and healthy!
blush.gif
blush.gif
blush.gif
blush.gif

rach1984horse

Visit site
I'm really bad about tacking up. I need to do it myself. The last time I let someone else tack up for me found out girth was only fastened on one strap on one side. Never again...

And keepers on bridles. I hate people not putting the straps in the keepers.

seabiscuit

Visit site
I am the same I cannot stand other people tacking up for me, no-one knows how the tack should be on your horse like you do!
At an event once I let someone else( a supposedly 'very knowledgeable pony club mother') put my bridle on- result- the curb chain flew off my pelham half way through my showjumping round- slightly lost control and had two fences down, and came 2nd and not 1st and thus missed out on qualifying for pony club eventing championships!

Never again will I let someone else put on my tack!

jewel

Visit site
i think we all have a bit of OCD when it comes to our horses.i'm the same about keeper on bridles it drives me mad seeing the straps poking out, also hate untidy muck heap and i'm mad about sweeping in front my stables

Malibu

Visit site
I am VERY VERY VERY fussy, i love doing everything myself, i am very independent. I dont alow others to bandage my horses, if i am away i will have my mother or friend boots boots on instead. I dont mind putting tack on really, my mum does it for me and a friend at events but it is annoying whe you have to re-do things all over again! I am also obsessed with everything being clean, clean stable = clean horse, clean rugs = clean horse etc, the yard has to be spotless too!

the watcher

Visit site
If somebody else tacks up for me I will check the saddle is in the right place, and the girth and bridle, but not make a major production of it. Any other jobs that anybody wants to help with, I am just pathetically grateful for some help and not at all judgemental..my only bugbear is grubby, sweaty girths and numnahs.I wash them obsessively!

filly190

Visit site
One of my horses, I cant bare to allow anyone else on her. I am so protective of her, she's 21 and my baby and no one but no one ever even touches her. She had a rough ride and I got her confidence back when I bought her and because of this, I know its silly of wont let anyone near her.

Bex7

Visit site
grooming! (not that you would think so looking at him when I bring him in)

Although only done before riding in this weather I like to do it properly including getting all of the knots out of his mane!! I do leave the tail though as it would need washing and make his butt cold.

i find myself going over him with my fingers looking for a stray grain of mud to pull off!

welshcobabe

Visit site
I confess to not liking anyone do anything with my horses, I am particular with everthing, rugs have to be a hung right, boots cleaned and put away. Tack cleaned when its been used, horses well groomed, horses are in same routine 365 days a year. Muck heap is tidy I know I am like this so its as well it just me and the neds I know I would drive every one else nuts. Just wish the same could be said for house !
smirk.gif

cazza

community.webshots.com
Hey Nickym I agree with most except for the girth straps, depending on the girth groove of the horse and the size of the horses shoulder all depends on which girth straps you put the girth on. Some arrangements are to stop the saddle slipping back 2,3. etc. Nowadays, the middle strap is independently stitched in the saddle so can be relied on. We were all taught in pony club 1st and 3rd, but this goes back to the old saddles where only one of the straps was independently stitched to the saddle and the other two were attached on the same piece of webbing.

Nickymac

Visit site
Damn, I've given my age away, being taught as you were in Pony Club! I didn't know that each girth strap was independently stitched nowadays - is that universal amongst saddle manufacturers?