Odd looking shoes

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
I wasn't there when the farrier came and he's put different looking shoes on the boy today. The friend who was supervising says she asked why they were different-flat piece across the sole at the toe, thicker than usual rims, can't find a similar type despite a Google search. She thinks the farrier didn't hear her 🤔 and didn't ask again! Obviously I will contact him tomorrow but wondered if anyone has similar and can clarify why they might have been used. He's a h/w cob, bone chips in his hocks, on daily Danilo for the associated arthritis.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Without seeing them, they sound like the shoes my old Clydesdale used to wear. The farrier (who really was an expert) said that they were traditional heavy horse shoes and would make her trot sound like coconut shells. He was right!

meleeka

Visit site
Natural balance shoes are meant to offer more support and bring the break over point back. They are fitted slightly further back to give heel support. Perhaps it’s something to do with helping his movement due to arthritis. I’m sure there must be a reason and I don’t think a farrier would just put them on without one.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Natural balance shoes are meant to offer more support and bring the break over point back. They are fitted slightly further back to give heel support. Perhaps it’s something to do with helping his movement due to arthritis. I’m sure there must be a reason and I don’t think a farrier would just put them on without one.

That is almost exactly what he said! I have no idea what it means. The piece over the toe is more exaggerated than the photo but very similar, especially the big rims. They are definitely set further back than his usual shoes. He said he just had them in the van and thought he'd give them a go. I do trust him, he's known for doing good remedial shoeing, I was just surprised that he changed and my friend didn't get the reason.

bubsqueaks

Visit site
That is almost exactly what he said! I have no idea what it means. The piece over the toe is more exaggerated than the photo but very similar, especially the big rims. They are definitely set further back than his usual shoes. He said he just had them in the van and thought he'd give them a go. I do trust him, he's known for doing good remedial shoeing, I was just surprised that he changed and my friend didn't get the reason.

But why would he change from what he normally does if you haven't told him there are any further issues for what he has been doing? Sounds experimental with "just had them in the van" for a farrier known to be good remedial shoeing surely he would have suggested this option before now or is it just me?!?