ODE

Macha

Visit site
There is loads of advice in books etc about 3DE but not much about a ODE, I am hoping to start my BE career this year and will have OH as driver/groom.
What is the best proceedure to follow with warm ups, how long do you usually have between phases etc...

tigers_eye

Visit site
I'm not sure but I think BE do a leaflet for people looking to start - maybe ring them up? I know there aren't too many events in Wales but if you don't mind going across the bridge why not see if someone on here (or anyone else you know) would like a free groom for an event at the beginning of the season, that way you'll get hands on experience of what it's like, and all the little things like remembering to take your horse's passport when you go to get your number (cos the time you don't take it is when they ask to see it), learning the sj course from the edge of the ring as times usually mean you can never walk it etc! Have fun!

MissDeMeena

Visit site
Not sure, but i think new for this season, BE has introdused 'taster days'.. where an ac. trainer will give a group lesson in an arean, over a SJ course set to either intro or PN hight, then in the afternoon, there will be a course walk round an intro/pn course! as well as a question and answer session!!
Maybe ring BE and see if there's one of these days near to you?
Failing that, i'd be more than greatfull to have a free groom for the day
wink.gif
wink.gif

MagicMelon

Visit site
Well warm up wise - just warm up as you normally would for the part your doing (so for the dressage phase, warm up as you would normally for a dressage comp etc.). If its an ODE, I tend to keep my warm up sessions a bit shorter than normal just because its a long day for the horse and my boy goes better being fresher, but really it depends on your horse. Time in between phases really depends. I usually find there's quite a decent gap in between my dressage & SJ (usually when I walk the XC), but the SJ & XC can be quite close together. Especially if the SJ is running late for some reason - at one event I remember jumping, going straight back to change for the XC and going straight to the start! Just work round your times, if you know you dont have long in between phases make sure you set out all your stuff ready. And make sure your OH knows what his jobs are!