Off-horse exercises - suggestions?

BrightonBrass

Visit site
I've been back in the saddle for a year but can generally only afford to ride once a week. When I do splash out for extra rides I can really feel the difference. My seat feels much stronger and more natural and my confidence grows accordingly. I cycle walk and do yoga (all in small doses) but are there any riding-specific exercises to do at home?

Ingrid1

New User
Visit site
As much as it sucks, squats! I hate them with a passion, but they will strengthen your thighs.

Do you have stairs? Walk/run up and down them as much as you can. Do you have a hilly area near you where you could hike? Both of those will help with your calves.

As for the other question, my guess is you aren’t kicking/hitting nearly as hard as you think you are. School horses can be pretty good at ignoring new riders. IMO it is kinder to use the whip once than it is to be constantly tapping/kicking/nagging. You can hurt a horse with the whip, but I doubt you’re hitting nearly that hard.

BrightonBrass

Visit site
As much as it sucks, squats! I hate them with a passion, but they will strengthen your thighs.

Do you have stairs? Walk/run up and down them as much as you can. Do you have a hilly area near you where you could hike? Both of those will help with your calves.

As for the other question, my guess is you aren’t kicking/hitting nearly as hard as you think you are. School horses can be pretty good at ignoring new riders. IMO it is kinder to use the whip once than it is to be constantly tapping/kicking/nagging. You can hurt a horse with the whip, but I doubt you’re hitting nearly that hard.
Thanks - I'll try the squats. I didn't ask the other question tho - maybe it was someone else? ?

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk
Activate Your Seat is something I'm tentatively recommending to customer, also look up the group Pain Reduction for Rjders on FB. I'm having a movement assessment in 2 weeks with a lovely lady, I need to look up her site/page for you, she does an online assessment.

Squeak

Visit site
I've found Ridercise really helpful, I'm not sure what her current prices are, sometimes it is far too expensive but when they're reasonable I find it a brilliant programme and easy to fit in around life. Even just doing 15 mins of exercise 3 times a week helps me see a difference.