Offering full grass livery for a youngster?

zoon

Visit site
I have a yearling (now a 2 year old I suppose since it is January!) that I have at home with his companion on about 4 acres. I am trying to minimise costs as I have a lovely expensive vets bill to pay for and am thinking of selling the companion and getting a youngster in on full grass livery. I'd want it to be full grass livery as I'd want the other person there as little as possible - I don't want lots of people wandering around at home! Just wondering if this is feasible and what peoplw would pay for it? I have stable for emergencies, a field shelter and plenty of natural shelter. Grass is normally good, but hay goes out if we have a very dry summer like we did last year.

Welshie Squisher

Visit site
I'd question who would want it? 2 youngsters together and no other horses are likely to be difficult to seperate. Is it worth it cost wise? Without facilities, grass livery pays very little. What you offer is about 15 per week around my way, and considering public liability insurance costs etc. You may find there is no beneft.

zoon

Visit site
full grass livery for £15? Bargain - it's at least £120 per month around here and hay costs on top!

Naryafluffy

Visit site
What about retirement livery instead of another youngster?
Although I agree round here we're £20 for retirement livery, just remember tax implications as well as this could be seen as a business and you would then need to think about paying tax on the earnings, also need to think about insurance for looking after someone elses horse. (Apologies if you've already thought of these things).

Tickles

Visit site
You will also, (sorry to be so negative!) need to look at planning permission and tax/insurance implications... it isn't always easy turning your home into a commercial premesis and you would have to declare the eanings etc.

Jesstickle

Visit site
No idea about the legal side but yes, I would have wanted it two years ago when I bought a 2 year old and had to pay to keep her on livery and muck out her box everyday for no good reason. When it was time for backing I'd have had to bring her home though so you might have to resign yourself to a constantly changing string of youngsters if you want it to be long term.

As mentioned previously perhaps a retirement home might be better if you want to keep the same livery for more than a few years?

Am going to PM you about your bit btw, this has just reminded me! :)

Clodagh

Visit site
Interesting thread as I have two youngsters together and one is going away to learn about life in the spring. I was wondering how best to get a couple of other horses in. Are you a farm? We are so hopefully our insurance would cover most issues. Like you I don't want other people here every day, although my mother-in-law would soon scare them off!

Welshie Squisher

Visit site
My god, 120 a month plus hay, where in the UK are you?
I do know of yards around my way costing that, but you get really good facilities for that kind of money.
I guess it also depends on your definition of full grass livery.
What is the difference between grass livery and full grass livery?

zoon

Visit site
Full grass livery - horse checked for you twice a day and fed (feed included in cost), all poo picking done etc etc - basically you don't need to turn up ever if you don't want to.

Grass livery you're just paying to rent the land and all jobs are up to you.

Didn't think of planning permission implications though

Welshie Squisher

Visit site
Ahh ok, then yes that's worth more but I think those with youngsters want to spend time bonding etc. With their horse.
I have a youngster and it's important to me I see her daily and spend time with her, I think this is the norm.

A retired horse would suit and I think there are people who will and do pay a bit above normal grass livery rates to know their horse is checked reguarly.

You are basically wanting a companion for your horse on your terms, but someone else to pay for it. I think you are going to really struggle unless it's a retired horse owned by someone with very little time and plenty of money :D

zoon

Visit site
See I have a few friends that have bought youngsters and kept them at a stud until they were 3 and ready to back. Saw then once every few months at most! Must be more people out there like that unless my friends are heartless!

It wouldn't work anyway if there are planning implications, so will just keep my pony as his companion

GinaGem

Visit site
Do you have a friend you could offer slightly cheaper than average livery to? Then you don't have to worry about any old person being at your home.

wildwest

Visit site
whats the point of having a horse ?
youngsters need daily bonding to become nice happy horses
i too would feel unwelcome at yours and certainly wouldnt pay for the privalege

Dexter

Visit site
Full youngstock livery round here including hay is £80 to £100 a month. I've just taken on a livery, £10 plus a share of hay if its ever needed. Can come and go as she likes, but horse is checked every day so doesnt need to come up. I would happily send mine away if I didnt have my own field, but I would want 3 at least, hence why I currently have 3 youngsters of my own.

However I have a massive field with loads of stimulation to keep them out of trouble. I had 2 of mine out on 3 acres last summer for a month, and they were a nightmare! They were clearly bored and took to pulling up fencing and destroying trees! I woudnt want them out on 4 acres and only with 1 other