Officially have my own cat ?formal introductions!

Cloball

Visit site
Started the year renting with an occasional visit from the neighbours cat. Now I own a house, officially have a cat, and a part time peacock. Been a productive year.
Meet M a 5 year old moggy. He may look familiar as after a long chat with our lovely neighbour she gifted him to us as he seems to have chosen my OH as his person and he doesn't get on with her other cats. OH and cat have been known to nap holding hands. It's quite sickening?
He has spent the day sleeping on HIS sofa and enthusiastically proving he knows how to use a litter tray. I'm just wondering what will happen when he meets Nigel the resident peacock ?.IMG-20210523-WA0003.jpgIMG-20210607-WA0001.jpg

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Lucky you and lucky Nigel. How lovely of your old neighbour to let him stay with his favourite person when you moved. ?

Cloball

Visit site
Thanks guys it seemed meant to be.
His old owner was so nice and relieved he was going to be looked after as he'd opted to live rough under our deck rather than go home. She rescues lots of kittens and puppies and I think he prefers being an only cat. It almost seems a shame to move as I'd like to have been pals ?. OH is besotted and very happy he doesn't have to be parted from his pal. M has spent the night sleeping in the crook of my knees.

The peacock was apparently abandoned by someone who used him for weddings, then gave up and just left him. I'm not sure of the whol story. The neighbours on the lane have made him a little roost and look out for him.

Bellasophia

Visit site
Congrats on all three acquisitions..the peacock is stunning.What does it eat? can it fly? Talk about garden ornaments!
I also love the cat..M?moggy? Malcolm?mysterious?

Cloball

Visit site
I had a massive panic yesterday as the cat hadn't appeared to have drunk from his new bowl or peed much all day. I gave him a choice of bowls to drink from and what did he choose .... The pint glass of water on the bedside table that was NOT an option ? but he's drinking and peeing so I can't argue. Booked him into the vets today anyway just in case and the vet called him vital and vigorous! Which I think is code for feral and bitey. I got away with only one scratch and we're now going to have a nap as we've both had a hectic week! I seem to be forgiven.

PurBee

Visit site
Congrats on the move cloball and new additions to the family ?

Now youve crossed the threshold into cat ownership, you may aswell know, there’s no going back..! ??

Strays will seek you far and wide, youll never be without one. My latest addition is my best friend only when ive got the yogurt out...yet he’s very cute in many ways...a friendly fiesty male who lays with the dogs!

The peacock is a stunner...looking very healthy...the teal colour of their feathers is my favourite colour. How lovely the neighbours all look out for it ?
I’ve no idea what they eat....diet like geese/ducks? Grubs/slugs, some greens?

BeckyFlowers

Visit site
I had a massive panic yesterday as the cat hadn't appeared to have drunk from his new bowl or peed much all day. I gave him a choice of bowls to drink from and what did he choose .... The pint glass of water on the bedside table that was NOT an option ? but he's drinking and peeing so I can't argue. Booked him into the vets today anyway just in case and the vet called him vital and vigorous! Which I think is code for feral and bitey. I got away with only one scratch and we're now going to have a nap as we've both had a hectic week! I seem to be forgiven.
Cats tend to prefer their water to be somewhere away from their food, so if the bowl is on his feeding may try moving it to a different part of the house. You could also try buying a cat fountain, lots of cats love them. He sounds like a right dude!

Cloball

Visit site
Such a gorgeous cat! How did you end up with the peacock?!
Congrats on buying a house too!
Thank you ?
Cats tend to prefer their water to be somewhere away from their food, so if the bowl is on his feeding may try moving it to a different part of the house. You could also try buying a cat fountain, lots of cats love them. He sounds like a right dude!
Noted although he seems happy to drink from the pint glass next to his food ?
The OH doesnt need encouraging to spend money on this cat he already has a fancy feed bowl and a harness ?

Cloball

Visit site
Not such a good update I'm afraid had to rush M to the vets today as he went into urinary retention. Seems like it might have all been a bit much for him. Worried I've done the wrong thing offering to take him on and moving him all at once. ?
He's at the vets over night until he pees by himself .... Most expensive gift cat ever.

BeckyFlowers

Visit site
Not such a good update I'm afraid had to rush M to the vets today as he went into urinary retention. Seems like it might have all been a bit much for him. Worried I've done the wrong thing offering to take him on and moving him all at once. ?
He's at the vets over night until he pees by himself .... Most expensive gift cat ever.
Oh no! Poor chap, fingers crossed he makes a good recovery. Don't beat yourself up about it though Cloball, in those pics you posted he looks happy as Larry so even though the change and upheaval may have brought it on, he must be happy enough.

Cloball

Visit site
Oh no! Poor chap, fingers crossed he makes a good recovery. Don't beat yourself up about it though Cloball, in those pics you posted he looks happy as Larry so even though the change and upheaval may have brought it on, he must be happy enough.
Thank you. OH is being reassuring and has said if we hadn't had him he'd still be living under the deck and no one would have noticed he wasn't peeing. So at least he got help quickly. He's back to eating happily the vet says.

FinnishLapphund

There's no cow on the ice
Visit site
Sometimes things just happens to happen at the same time as something else, without that they have to be related. As your OH said, if you'd left him living under the deck, and he'd still gotten ill, nobody would have noticed, and taken him to a veterinarian.

Fingers crossed the veterinarian is able to make him well again.

Cloball

Visit site
Sometimes things just happens to happen at the same time as something else, without that they have to be related. As your OH said, if you'd left him living under the deck, and he'd still gotten ill, nobody would have noticed, and taken him to a veterinarian.

Fingers crossed the veterinarian is able to make him well again.
Thank you I hope so too. I guess my medical brain and the fact I've been quite anxious lately is just playing havoc with the why and the and what ifs.

Quigleyandme

Visit site
I have an elderly ginger cat called Maggot. He was a stray kitten that came to live on my farm with the previous owners. When they moved they gave the cat to my 86 year old neighbour Paddy. Paddy was poorly Christmas 2019 and was in hospital for some weeks. His wife Mary has dementia and also went into residential care in 2019. I was feeding Maggot while Paddy was in hospital but on New Years Day 2020 I found him sitting on my doormat and he’s been here ever since. He‘s a charming old cat and is such good company. Paddy misses him though and comes over to give him a fuss and tells him what a grand cat he is. I feel like a selfish cow but I like having the cat and I worm him and brush him and wash his food bowl and when he got into a biffo I gave him antibiotics so I should have him right? Right? I’m lonely too you know ?