Officially have my own cat ?formal introductions!

BeckyFlowers

Visit site
It sounds like you're doing a great job with him already, but general de-stressing tips are pretty obvious - quiet voices and noises, routine, plenty of playing, not picking cat up, and making sure they have lots of nice places to hide and that are up high so they can take themselves to wherever they feel comfortable.

More pics please!

Visit site
Can he get under your bed? I had a nervous cat that adored hiding under my bed. He was 21yo when we lost him and died the morning of the day my grandma died. Total double whammy. He was awesome and miss him loads. M cat is really handsome! Peacocks terrify me!

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
Not such a good update I'm afraid had to rush M to the vets today as he went into urinary retention. Seems like it might have all been a bit much for him. Worried I've done the wrong thing offering to take him on and moving him all at once. ?
He's at the vets over night until he pees by himself .... Most expensive gift cat ever.

I wonder if you’ve tried different cat litters? I had our yard cat at home for 10 days due to him having a nasty bite injury. I had wood pellet litter but after 24 hrs he hadn’t peed and I rang the vet to see how long it would be before it became an issue. Anyhow I bought some ordinary clay clumping litter and he used it overnight- phew!

My previous cats both female used to get a stress cystitis from things like me being away. So it’s not unusual for stress to result in bladder issues.

Glad he’s home - he’s very gorgeous ?.

Cloball

Visit site
I wonder if you’ve tried different cat litters? I had our yard cat at home for 10 days due to him having a nasty bite injury. I had wood pellet litter but after 24 hrs he hadn’t peed and I rang the vet to see how long it would be before it became an issue. Anyhow I bought some ordinary clay clumping litter and he used it overnight- phew!

My previous cats both female used to get a stress cystitis from things like me being away. So it’s not unusual for stress to result in bladder issues.

Glad he’s home - he’s very gorgeous ?.
I might get some clumping stuff was the current litter is difficult to see how much he's seeing. He's a wee stoned kitty today but seems settled. He stares at his fountain but hasn't tried it yet.

claret09

Visit site
Cheap cat litter from tesco is great. in addition to water downstairs in the kitchen my two have a glass of water on the cupboard in my bedroom - it seems to suit them and they definitely use it a lot

BeckyFlowers

Visit site
He seems very chirpy this morning had a good night! He sleeps lying right across OH ?. He plays with his fountain and managed to get his tail in it but he hasn't tried actually drinking from it yet. We now how pint glasses of water arranged around the house.
Haha that's a nice update, and a really good idea re the pint glasses. My bestie's cat drinks out of glasses - she has one downstairs and one on the bedside table!

Cloball

Visit site
Peeing lots at the moment which I think is the medication, trying to escape and being quite chirpy.
I made a box hideout which he has tried once, posed and hopped out. He stares into the fountain mesmerised but has yet to be seen drinking. He's only been here a week and it has been quite a whirlwind! So hopefully the next week can be peaceful and I can work on my own anxiety level ? we now have the world largest supply to Feliway diffusers OH claims they are making him feel sleepy, OH not the cat. I think I have yet to breathe so it's clearly not working on me! Must stop expecting miracles over night. We will get there.Screenshot_20210616-100148~2.png

BeckyFlowers

Visit site
My friend has a fountain for his two kitties, and he has never seen them drink out of it until the other week when I said "aaaw look Lizzie is drinking out of the fountain"! He knew that they had been drinking out of it before that though, as he had to top it up regularly.

Cloball

Visit site
Well it was kind of him to pose for the photo. :D:D:D

I suspect that things will just need a bit more time to settle.

Oh I'm sure. I think it's just the appearing to be settling in ok and then being near death's door in a short period of time really shocked me, and no doubt him, I'm just so scared it will happen again. I also feel so guilty about it all it's really got me on edge.

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
Cats are the champions of the animal world at hiding how ill or in pain they are.

When our brown cat had congestive heart failure he'd do all the cat stuff plus extra because he had fully grown 'kittens' to look after. He'd then just suddenly collapse and it would be an emergency vet visit. His x-rays would make you question how he could function at all, let alone have been catching rabbits just an hour before. He'd have some extra medication to get the fluid off his lungs and he'd be bright as a button and chasing badgers again. That's cats.
o015.gif

Edited for spelling.

Last edited:

Cloball

Visit site
Back to the vets we went yesterday ? back in retention. No over night stay this time lots more medication to try but his blood tests were good and he's seems even brighter today if anything unlike me who didn't sleep to do over night obs. ? we are back on track... Again.
Screenshot_20210618-180551~2.pngHe does give the best cuddles.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Cats are the champions of the animal world at hiding how ill or in pain they are.

Aren't they just! We took ours to the vet to check why his breathing seemed a little bit laboured and we came home with no cat due to untreatable end stage heart failure.

I've only just caught up with this, I hope he's OK today Cloball.

Last edited:

Cloball

Visit site
Aren't they just! We took ours to the vet to check why his breathing seemed a little bit laboured and we came home with no cat due to untreatable end stage heart failure.

I've only just caught up win this, I hope he's OK today Cloball.
I'm happy with how he seems today, he's currently watching the birds on the bird table, but if this week is anything to go by who knows! I feel better his kidney function appears fine and we have the antibiotic version of Dettol to give him.
OH has agreed to. Climbing frame for him.

Visit site
Peeing lots at the moment which I think is the medication, trying to escape and being quite chirpy.
I made a box hideout which he has tried once, posed and hopped out. He stares into the fountain mesmerised but has yet to be seen drinking. He's only been here a week and it has been quite a whirlwind! So hopefully the next week can be peaceful and I can work on my own anxiety level ? we now have the world largest supply to Feliway diffusers OH claims they are making him feel sleepy, OH not the cat. I think I have yet to breathe so it's clearly not working on me! Must stop expecting miracles over night. We will get there.View attachment 73902

im sorry but I shouldn’t laugh at the multiple diffusers, I guess one bonus is if you and OH are relaxed due to them, you won’t be worrying about puss. ?

Cloball

Visit site
im sorry but I shouldn’t laugh at the multiple diffusers, I guess one bonus is if you and OH are relaxed due to them, you won’t be worrying about puss. ?
? I don't find then relaxing I think they smell like feet.

In case anyone wants an update, before I jinx it, we've managed to go the whole weekend without a trip to the vets. Much less clingy and sleepy now too. He has a wee funny shaved bottom though ?DSC08698~2.JPG