Offroad hacking berks/hants and surroundings!

TheHairyOne

Visit site
Hello HHO, looking to beg borrow and steal some local knowlege for some new routes to explore. Have a small lorry, will travel. :)

Looking for some routes to enjoy over the (hopefully) lovely summer within about an hour of Reading that have enough parking. Dont mind if its somewhere with day passes or parking charges. The further away it is the longer we would like the ride to be, but withing 20 mins/half an hour 5-6 miles would be ok, over an hour if its a lovely long ride...over 10-12 miles would be fine too.

Please help us to enjoy our horses even more than we are already! And happy to meet up with people with a relatively sane horse also!

Suggestions gratefully revieved, maps can only tell you so much. :)

Sophire

Visit site
Englefield Estate? I've actually no idea if you can get a day pass? It's been a while since we used to regularly had.

Maybe the Ridgeway from Streatley? Or a lot of people from my yard box over to Bramshill.

TheHairyOne

Visit site
Luckily i am hacking distance to Brams already, but my hacking companion and I adore exploring on horseback!

Engelfield looks lovely, I once looked at a yard on the edge of it, but i am very unsure if its got any kind of parking even once permits are sorted.

Ive walked the whole ridgeway on foot, and its stunning, but not sure if there are any circular rides you can do? Worth an investigation though for sure. Cant remember if its goring or streetly that has the most amazing chocolate shop, but worth going for that if nothing else!

We are going over to kingsclear soon to explore those bridleways.

Would LOVE a route down a river somewhere, not asking for much in the built up south... :)

Sophire

Visit site
Ahh, my next offering was going to be Kingslcere.

Englefield Estate, I think there are one or two car parks that may be suitable? Their forest runs from Ufton Nervet through to Mortimer, Silchester, Burghfield and Tadley so you can make a loop of it in some way. I used to be on a yard in Ufton and spent my childhood going off for hours all around!!

Celtic Fringe

Visit site
I suggest Ashampstead Common and routes over to Ashampstead village. I've parked next to the village green in Ashampstead before and hacked from there. If you have an OS map then the bridleways/byeways are clear and they are also well-marked en-route.

I've also ridden from the village green in Chapel Row - there are some nice routes and we have sometimes gone to the ford at Standford Dingley for a bit of a paddle. If you have a small lorry or a car and trailer then there is normally space to park.

On the other side of the river there are good routes near Goring Heath though parking in that area might be a little tricky.

Cholsey Farm at Ibstone (Henley/High Wycombe) advertise riding routes on their property. There is a fee but they offer parking, toilets etc. They are easy to find online and on FB. I've not been but it looks fun!

Another good place to start from is the car park on the Ridgeway at Bury Down - there are lots of good circular routes out from there.

If you PM me I can send you maps and more details.

Velcrobum

Visit site
If you log onto BHS website they have a section (access and bridleways) which lists various rides and gives details if that is of help. There is also a bit where you can look up Equestrian access groups who would have local knowledge and probably know of suitable rides.

Blenheim Horse Trials usually have a fun ride on Sunday afternoon the route of which allows you to ride through both water crossings, have a look on their website for details,

Hope this is of help.

Last edited:

TheHairyOne

Visit site
Wow CF thats a great list. Thank you very much! That ridgeway carpark looks plenty big enough. I do have a small lorry, but its side load so have had access problems before...laybys and verges etc arent wide enough to get the horses out.

The rest are all easy trips for us too, so thats fab. Cholsey is on the list but we thought that might be a bit more like a fun ride on a nice day at the weekend and we do love the exploring part as well. :)

PM sent with an email address for amymore info would be great as i knew of none of the public routes!

Myloubylou

Visit site
If 20 miles/ 40 mins in box isn't too far go south to Frensham/Hankley common as the hacking is just amazing. You can park at Hankley common golf club, very sandy soil so great ground all year. Parts are permit only but you can get to Thursley common as well from there depending on how long you want to be out.

Myloubylou

Visit site
Also recommend OS maps app. I have subscription so I can plan routes but think you can search maps for free