Oh Alfred! Really?

Auslander

Visit site
I love that, at 21 years old, and with a range of issues, he is feeling so well. I do not love it when he is SO ridiculous that the only safe way to get us both home is for me to get off and walk!

It's been a while since his brain fell out completely, but today was the day! I knew I was in for an interesting one when he was already snorty and spooky before I even tacked him up!

It takes quite a lot for me to get off a horse who is acting up. Feeling the shutters come crashing down mid-meltdown is sufficient to inspire me though. Daft old sod!

Bartleby.

Visit site
I managed to stay on, but other than that I have had the exact same morning so I sympathise. Louis just lost all reason mid-hack, the warning signs were there before we even finished getting ready, but I just powered on thinking I was being soft.

I blame the strong biting wind, it was really making them all wide-eyed.

SEL

Visit site
Is he blaming the horse eating ghosts blown in by the high winds? Militaire tells me ghosts are totally to blame for the Ardennes acrobatics we got leading to the field this morning.

Decided to postpone my saddle fit session on the Appy because I value my neck too much. High winds + New saddle + horse not ridden for a while = splatted human normally!!

Auslander

Visit site
I managed to stay on, but other than that I have had the exact same morning so I sympathise. Louis just lost all reason mid-hack, the warning signs were there before we even finished getting ready, but I just powered on thinking I was being soft.

I blame the strong biting wind, it was really making them all wide-eyed.

It is pretty horrible out there!
Alf is the tatty remains of a serious athlete, so when he blows, he really blows. I'm neither brave enough, nor stupid enough to stay on top once the wheels start falling off!

Auslander

Visit site
Is he blaming the horse eating ghosts blown in by the high winds? Militaire tells me ghosts are totally to blame for the Ardennes acrobatics we got leading to the field this morning.

Decided to postpone my saddle fit session on the Appy because I value my neck too much. High winds + New saddle + horse not ridden for a while = splatted human normally!!

Not sure what he was blaming - but we lost forward and sideways gears, and were left with reverse and upward. This would be ok if he didn't then have an extra meltdown about the loss of forward gear. He also double barrelled a tree because it didn't get out of his way when he reversed into it!

SEL

Visit site
Not sure what he was blaming - but we lost forward and sideways gears, and were left with reverse and upward. This would be ok if he didn't then have an extra meltdown about the loss of forward gear. He also double barrelled a tree because it didn't get out of his way when he reversed into it!
Naughty tree! There's no way you'd describe either of mine as athletes but when moves best suited to lipizzaners are on show I also think it's time to go home!!

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
I don't blame you, I'm like you as in it's very very rare for me to hop off, more so these days as I'm pretty lame, but if needs must then discretion takes over.

B Fuzzy gave me her version of piaffe when asked to wait at crossing a farm track, standing wasnt her strong point back in July. I must remember that she had only been backed 6 weeks when I got her in June, rode her for 5 weeks, then a 4.5 month lay off and now back working slowly again for 11 days! Otherwise she was pretty good whilst out, tho I'd forgotten how forwards going she can be when confident or worried!

Denbob

Visit site
Another one who has a bit of a handful this morning, so enthusiastic he has chipped a hoof *rolls eyes*

He is not a joggy pony usually but gradually wound himself up as we went round, returned a sweaty puffed out mess, and that's just the rider!

Bartleby.

Visit site
Naughty tree! There's no way you'd describe either of mine as athletes but when moves best suited to lipizzaners are on show I also think it's time to go home!!

Same, 750kg Normandy Cob doing what felt like a lovely piaffe this morning.

Chippers1

Visit site
Same with mine this morning 😅 it was some golfers he'd past, they had the audacity to carry on walking behind him

PapaverFollis

Visit site
Glad to know other people work their horses in Weather. I do sometimes feel like we're the only ones...

However it was the retired Granny who disgraced herself coming in from the field today... scared OH so much he's gone for a lie down now 😂... goodness knows what she's have been like to ride! Lol. The young horse remains entirely unflapped, but I didn't fancy a hack even so and she got a long lining instead.

Glad Alf sorted that tree out. Can I borrow him, or at least his technique, for from my dawdlers in Tesco?

Fransurrey

Visit site
Your thread makes me feel much better. My Exmoor mare had flipped into loon mode this morning. She was very wired around the shelter, then without warning sank onto the haunches and launched herself forwards with such force she gouged solid clumps of earth out, which flew backwards. Fortunately I had been paying attention and got most of my body into the shelter (I was about 10 ft away). Watching her full on gallop up and down the field so fast I feared she'd break her neck or leg, I decided putting extra haylage into the shelters was better than taking her pal out (didn't trust her not to freak out and run through a fence). Came home for a nice cuppa and some avocado and fried egg on toast. Better than eating dirt or waiting for a vet!!

PapaverFollis

Visit site
Good lord, why? I do on occasion ride in the rain/wind/blizzard, because I might have to one day, but otherwise neither I nor the horses enjoy being out when it's foul. Lunged and turned out this morning; everyone is now tucked up with cocoa/haynet.

Because I have to do so (muscle issue) so I like to know other people suffer too. 😂 You still lunged. No other horse on my yard has been out of either box or field for about 3 days. A number have been stood in boxes... mine get daily turnout and the horse in work gets daily work (not always ridden, it was long lining today), when people around me in real life are doing neither. It starts to make me feel a bit unhinged. Threads like this are a nice reality check that I'm not the only person who tries to keep going no matter the weather. That's all I meant by it. Although if I could she may well have got a day off today!

I am fortunate in my horse in that she appears to be oblivious to weather conditions and just does her thing while quietly daydreaming about haynets. 😂

Auslander

Visit site
I escaped the worst of the weather - it was just cold and blowy this morning (and Berkshire Dragons out in force). Wouldn't have ridden this afternoon for all the tea in China!