Oh dear, I've just realised I have a problem..

FinnishLapphund

There's no cow on the ice
Visit site
And it is me who has the problem
Ashamed_Emote_by_budgieishere.gif
not the dogs, though the problem involve dogs.

After my first response on this thread by chestnuttymare Update on dobe and more help needed please , where I mentioned that I try to stay away from threads involving problems with barking dogs, I then today opened this thread by _Charlie_ I admit, I'm flummoxed on this one, need help please not expecting it to be about barking but when it was, I decided to try and write a reply and while I did that I had an Eureka moment!

I try to stay away from threads asking about help with problems involving barking because of some sort of inferiority complex
frown.gif
. I was 16 years old when I got my first spitz Nessie, a Norwegian Buhund, as long as Nessie was the only Buhund she was quite quiet but she barked when e.g. happy or excited, which was sometimes frowned upon by people we met. Then came a Doberman cross that we had to euthanize only about 2 years old, followed by a Smooth Collie and a few years later a second Norwegian Buhund, Humla.

When Humla came I was in my early twenties but not only did the two Buhunds became barky together, Humla also had a lower threshold to wanting to bark, so if I had gotten a few unwanted advices before, I began getting even more. I suppose that is when it really began, my inferiority complex about barking.
crazy.gif

I have read every advice about how to stop your dog from barking/teach your dog to be quiet that I've come across and as I came across them I tried them on my Buhunds. Some methods where worthless as far as my dogs was concerned and some worked somewhat but not one method worked 100% on them.
Anti-bark collars was not available when my two, now late, Buhunds was young and when they were old ladies I was more or less happy with their level of barking, so I did not bother spending money on a quite expensive new gadget that I did not know whether it would work or not. However if/when I buy a new Buhund at some point in my future, then if I feel a need for it, I would not hesitate of buying an anti-bark collar to help with the training.

Anyhow all those 4 bitches mentioned are now dead and as said, when my two Buhunds got older, I did feel that I had managed to train them to a for me acceptable barking level. And for situations were I knew that Humla would be tempted to bark to much, I put a Halti on her which muffled her desire to bark somewhat = places like while waiting in the vets waiting room or consulting room.
At a place like at the vets, every time Humla heard a door open somewhere or anything similar, she could not resist saying ''I heard something, what was that? Was it someone? HELLO I AM HERE and I heard something!''
Oh, how I miss that dog, I sometimes thought her barking would make me bonkers but she was so lovely and loving, she is completely irreplaceable.

Though that I've not really gotten any unwanted advices for the last 5 to 10 years and definitely not since I got the three Finnish Lapphunds that I have now, I've realised that what did occur during my first 10 or so years of dog owning is still stuck in my memory and affecting me today.

Things like random people voluntarily giving me their advices/telling me that they sure enough taught their Labrador or similar to be quiet by using tasty treats and this or that method. I will admit that I especially did not appreciate getting not-asked-for advice from strangers, when I was trying to train one of my bitches to be silent, only to be interrupted by someone telling me that I'm doing it all wrong, that I should do so or so instead to teach my bitch to be quiet and if I answered that ''I have tried that, it did not work'', they did often not believe that I really had tried that, because surely with their foolproof method my bitch would be quiet. Humph!

Not to mention the random person saying to another person behind my back that ''Teaching dogs to be quiet is all about the training/I certainly have managed to teach all my dogs to be quiet'', well thank you for that polite encouragement
mad.gif
. One of the times that happened, Humla was just a puppy around 6 months old!
I'm sorry but I did not aim for that my puppies should be fully trained at 6 months of age back then and I still don't today. I shall not say where I thought they could go and take their perfect non barking Border Collie or whatever with them. Grr!

There was times both when Humla was young and when she was older, that I was very tempted to just hand over Humla's lead and say ''Here you go then, show me how it is done!'' Fully knowing that instructors had helped me with her anti-bark training and not gotten any bit better results with her than myself. She was simply never meant to be a 100% silent dog.

But not until today, when Humla have been dead for more than 2 years and Nessie have been dead for 5 years, have I realised that my frustration over people presuming that I was not already trying or doing my best with teaching them to be quiet is still very vivid to me.
I've also realised that these people have made me forget that my ideal is not completely silent dogs and that whenever someone asks about advice about how to stop their dog from barking, this inferiority complex that I've discovered in myself, have made me think I should not say anything because my dogs are not 100% silent.

The worst thing is that though I don't want my lovely Finnish Lapphunds to be completely silent, I actually unconsciously have sometimes judged them negatively for not being constantly silent even though I don't want them to be it, if that makes sense.
crazy.gif
frown.gif

Oh well, at least I am aware of it now and instead of going to a shrink, I have eased my heart on HHO and at least it feels as if I'm already feeling more accepting over the fact that I actually want to have dogs that barks a little.

Ashamed_Emote_by_budgieishere.gif

I think I shall begin my ''new life'' with posting a thread with links to the two videos my nephew have filmed on his mobile, even though they do bark a lot of excitement in one of them.
smile.gif

4383464098_e175c8c790_m.jpg
4382707579_551b114c97_m.jpg
4383468730_eb8ae7452d_m.jpg

Jonna - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Beata - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Blomma

MurphysMinder

Visit site
Glad the HHO "therapy" has helped you Finny. I think your input on doggy problems is always very helpful, but I do know what you mean about not feeling you can offer advice on some things.
Although I have had other breeds I have lived with GSDs for over 50 years and although I am still learning I feel pretty confident to offer advice on them. However I am acutely aware that what works for one breed may not work for another. For instance certain training techniques that will work for say a border collie, may not be any good for another, less work motivated breed. I think most people just post advice on here to the best of their knowledge, no one is saying they are infallible. It is then up to whoever has asked the question to consider the advice given and decide what will work best for their dog.

Booboos

Visit site
Not sure what to say really...try not to feel too bad about this! When anyone says that their dogs or animals are perfect I have to admit I do think they are lying. Training an animal is a really difficult challenge, different things will work with different animals, just when you think you are making progress things will get worse again, and animals will always surprise you and catch you out.

I do offer advice on here, but I wouldn't want anyone to think that this means that my dogs are perfect, or even good on the things I offer advice on!!! Knowing how to do something and doing it are two different things and I offer advice to try to help others rather than imply that they are wrong, don't know what they are doing or my dogs get it right.

If it's any consolation I don't think anyone can train a Spitz not to bark!!!! Mine bark like demented banshees all day long...much easier to train yourself to ignore it!
smile.gif

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
I don't think anyone here posts with an attitude ' you MUST do this, it WILL work' - we are all just throwing our experiences ideas out there, people will know their own dogs, they know which things to try and which to discount, they can give things a try and if they don't work, try something else.

For instance, the pots and pans and squirty bottles - fine for a small yappy dog, not so good with a lot of larger dogs.

Some dogs have food drive, some dogs have ball drive.
Some dogs are smart, some dogs are...not so smart
tongue.gif

I think through all the tears and snotters and achy arms and hoarse throats, I certainly would never claim to be perfect!

I have been trying to teach B to 'speak'. When he is playing with his sister, he does an excellent 'Come ON!' exciteable bark, just the type for Schutzhund
tongue.gif
so when they are having their fun, I am constantly saying 'Speak! Gooood booooy'.
Sadly....he now thinks 'Speak!' means 'bodyslam your sister, and hold her on the ground by her neck, hahahahahaha, that's FUNNY! Good boy!'
blush.gif

FinnishLapphund

Visit site
I don't feel bad about it any more or at least not much anyway, I do not think I've been 100% cured at once or that my inferiority complex when people asking questions about barking did disappear over night but it does feel as if a big weight have been lifted from my shoulders!
smile.gif

Now that I've realised how I unconsciously have been thinking about my dogs and barking, it feels as if those thoughts (almost) have gone away after being dragged out in the light, if that makes any sense.

But it is a real relief to read your and MurphysMinder's replies, I suppose I already knew what you said but it is still nice to sometimes actually hear it too.
smile.gif

About spitzes, well Finnish Lapphunds are different than Norwegian Buhunds, they are quite silent for a spitz breed both if they live as single dogs and in a pack but they still are a spitz, they where not born to walk completely silently through their life!
laugh.gif

And Buhunds, though I truly understand what you mean about barking banshees
laugh.gif
, I prefer to see it as that they simply like to converse with other dogs about everything that happens in life, sometimes they just talk really fast!
e050.gif
smile.gif
I met a Buhund owner recently and she described how when she went home to someone for a visit that she knew, who owned 4 Buhunds, there was no point in trying to speak for the first 5 minutes or so because the Buhunds was so busy discussing your presence in their home, that nobody could hear anything anyway...
blush.gif

One of the things that was revealed to me yesterday, was that since I want other people to love my dogs and think well of them, I have felt guilty for that my dogs might bark somewhat when happy etc, though that I don't view that as a problem myself. But if people doesn't love my dogs because that they can bark a little, it is their loss and not really my problem, the rest of the world is not exactly silent either, just wait until summer and children begins to use the trampolines that seems to be a little there and everywhere in people gardens!

grin.gif

Booboos

Visit site
My Spitzes "converse" with everything...other dogs, the door bell, delivery men, the postman, dogs on TV, an empty room, a car passing three miles away, ghosts and other paranormal phenomena!!!!!!

They surprised me the other day: everytime we move house (often) it takes them about a week to adjust to the new doorbell, once used to it, they bark non-stop as soon as they hear it. In this house we have an automatic gate which rings through the phone so the 'doorbell' is now undistinguishable from the phone. I thought this was so clever and they would not cotton on, but the Spitzes are brighter! Turns out when I pick up the phone to answer the doorbell I tend to say "Come on in" and press the button to open the gate. This phrase has now become the new 'doorbell' and sets them off in a frenzy of barking!!

Galupy

Visit site
My dogs are not perfect. They bark, fight, pull on the lead, and otherwise humiliate me in public on a regular basis. Having them in my life is so rewarding.
tongue.gif

Dakota (the former foster beagle I have), as I mentioned yesterday, will never be reliable off the lead. Not only because he is a typical beagle but also because his time in isolation for the first five years of his life have left him fear aggressive with other dogs and people. I haven't been able to crack that one at all, only make it less of a problem by planning ahead what we do, where we go, and who we interact with.

I think we all do just offer our best advice to try and help someone who needs it. I would say that those who don't have perfect dogs in the area being asked about have as much valuable information and advice to give about the issue as those who don't have a problem in that area. That experience is worth a lot. Plus, it might be that someone asking a question about how to correct something could learn from you that it's not the end of the world if they don't solve the some problems and that their dogs really don't have to be perfect.

And anyway, who on earth would want a perfect dog? That sounds horribly boring. My dogs' faults are what makes up their characters and are the reason I love them to bits.
smile.gif

Spudlet

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
And anyway, who on earth would want a perfect dog? That sounds horribly boring. My dogs' faults are what makes up their characters and are the reason I love them to bits.
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I might put that in my sig if you don't mind
smile.gif

Galupy

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I might put that in my sig if you don't mind
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I would be honoured!
cool.gif

FinnishLapphund

Visit site
Oh dear CaveCanem, poor you but what an excellent example of that we don't always teach our dogs what we intended to teach them!

I get such a vivid image of the three of you in my head...
grin.gif

I have of course only ever taught my dogs exactly what I intended to teach them...
a050.gif
e050.gif

Actually that it is almost true, it is the benefit of owning the type of dog that you usually/often do need to repeat the same thing over and over a few times with before the details gets stuck, you have a better chance to realise that something might not work out the way you had intended it to and try to change/adjust so and so detail before it gets stuck.
smile.gif

I did try to teach my Buhunds to 'speak', following advices about that you first teach them to 'speak', then teach them that they should speak until a stop speaking signal is given and that you then could use that 'silent' signal in other situations as well, I will admit to thinking before beginning that training, that 'speak' surely would be something they would excel in.
Sure enough, getting them to 'speak' was not that much of a problem, though unless they found some reason for the barking, it was not always the impressing ''banshee'' barking as Booboos so suitably described it, however stop speaking on other hand... *sigh*

I should not say that that training was completely useless, it actually did help both of them understand what I wanted of them when I told them to be 'silent' but being able to fulfil it in situations outside training was another matter.

smile.gif

FinnishLapphund

Visit site
c040.gif

Kom in! = Come on in! = Woof woof woof... = ''Woohoo someone is coming, hurry hurry, who can be first to the door?...''

Hallå! = Hello! = Woof woof woof... = ''Woohoo something is happening, where where where?...''

Etc, etc.

When it comes to learning themselves triggers to begin barking, I think their intelligence is unlimited.

grin.gif

Edited because I forgot to put in the woof woof woof.

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
Finny, OH's brother's dog used to get so wound up at 'walk' we started to spell it. Now when you say 'double-yoo...' he starts going bonkers.
He also knows 'shop' 'bookies' and 'McDonalds'
blush.gif

Vetty

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Finny, OH's brother's dog used to get so wound up at 'walk' we started to spell it. Now when you say 'double-yoo...' he starts going bonkers.
He also knows 'shop' 'bookies' and 'McDonalds'
blush.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

That's very funny!!!

My kids love saying 'walkies' to Stevie when we're taking him out but I fear they may regret it at some point...... He already recognises 'school' as somewhere he comes twice a day, lol.....

FinnishLapphund

Visit site
That is a very good point, that someone with experience of the problem might have other input and maybe also comfort to offer. It is just that, I had not realised that I had this brain ghost about barking. I feel I happily give advices to all who asks for them (if I think I have any advice of course) without expecting my dogs to be perfect on it, yet I had not truly noticed before that questions about barking have, in general, made me feel like a loser and unworthy of answering the question.

It is so stupid really, I don't know how many times I've told e.g. a dog instructor, that it is so nice to hear about mishaps and similar they've had with their dogs, because it is comforting to know that it can happen to others too, that it is not only me and my bitches. And still I've developed this inferiority complex about barking. *sigh*

Well it is out in the open now and I will most definitely not allow it to affect how I think about my lovely girls any more!

laugh.gif

FinnishLapphund

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I know this is breed specific
tongue.gif
and very Germanic, but I never get tired of reading this page, specifically the parts at the bottom!

http://maxvstephanitz.homestead.com/mvs_training.html

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you for posting that link CaveCanem, I understand what you mean about them being written for GSD's but reading some of them is almost like reading poetry.

''Training that is to severe and loveless causes agony to the soul of the dog, his possibilities will not unfold, because his trust in his trainer is lacking. Sound training keeps itself within its bounds...producing joy in work...''

''Let the trainer examine himself when the dog makes a mistake, or does not understand the exercise, or fails in obedience and let him ask "Where am I at fault?''

''Drill never produces the same result as training, which penetrates the soul of the dog.''

''A dog, especially a young dog, can never be praised too much.''

Thank you again.
smile.gif