Oh Great...also in Vet...he's come in lame this evening..advice needed

smallgirl

Visit site
Help.......my horse came in lame this evening, its very hard ground, lots of snow too today so I think he has been for a hoolie.

He's not wanting to weight bear on his right hind leg, theres no swelling on the leg from the top of it down to the bottom, there is what I would call a spongy bubble thing on the underside of his fetlock, which has come up before when he did something similar, this went down overnight and he was fine the next day.

I'm a bit more concerned about this one as he was weight bearing last time but not this time, he will put it down when he has to when turning him to go back into the stable but not really otherwise.

I have cold hosed it tonight for 20 mins and put him to bed in his stable and will have to see what it is like in the morning.

Does anyone have any advice for me on what it could be, am I doing the right thing etc. Bear in mind if it is no better tomorrow morning I will be phoning the Vet, but I couldn't see what they could do between tonight and tomorrow morning that would make a huge difference as he is in on a deep bed resting it. But maybe I'm wrong so please let me knwo what you think.

Thanks in advance

hadfos

Visit site
Friends horse did this...was fine 1 minute,could hardly walk the next...absolutely no signs of swelling heat etc...it turned out to be an abcess!!Hopefully it will be something as simple as this??If you are really worried call the vet...otherwise poultice the underside of the foot or hot tub and see if this helps!!I wont suggest bute incase you do need a vet to look at him!!

smallgirl

Visit site
Hmm hadn't thought of that, there's no cuts on his leg at all, the rest of it is the same temp as the other hind one, will check it in the morn for this though, I've not given him bute, as it won't help tomorrow if i need the Vet.

My gut instinct tells me its the result of a trauma rather than an infection.

hadfos

Visit site
let us know how he is in the morning??If it is trauma there may well be some swelling overnight which will make it a little easier for you to identify in the morn!Hope it is nothing too serious!!

Baymillie

Visit site
If there is no heat or swelling in the leg I would suspect the foot. Worse case scenario, fractured pedal bone, but hopefully just a simple abcess.

smallgirl

Visit site
Oh my, fingers corssed nothings fractured, but thats two angles i hadn't and wouldn't have thought of so thanks to both of you, 2 more things to check out in the morning.

kellyeaton

Visit site
if you thing it his trauma give arnica tablets for brusing and massage leg with witch hazela nd aloe that will be soothing if no better in morning call vet for advice instead of cold hosing if there is no sweeling try heat threopary dry putting a hot water bottle arond the area to get new circulation to the area!

smallgirl

Visit site
He is much better this morning, still not wanting to put all his weight on it but much more than last night, I have cold hosed it again, the spongy bubble has vitually gone so I think if I leave him in today and see what he is like later I am on the right track.

I have arnica cream so I'll give him a massage tonight with it, lucky devil. He normally has magnetic boots on his hind legs so do you think he would be ok to have them on tonight to aid the circualtion?

Baymillie - guess who dreamt about abcesses last night!