Oh, how I love having my horses at home.....

RunToEarth

Visit site
I love this thread. We are in the process of purchasing a property with land, my dream. And all I see on here normally is how hard and expensive it is having them at home and how consuming it is etc etc! Its not deterring me though :p

It is time consuming having a horse anyway. Naturally you spend a bit more time with them if they are at home, but no time travelling to/from them. If it absolutely hammers it down, there are a matter of footsteps between you and bring them in, which means that when the sun comes out half an hour later you can boot them back out without driving backwards and forwards wondering whether you have "made the right decision". I'd take the "stress" of having them at home over livery any day.

only_me

Visit site
And there is a special type of emotion reserved for when you look out of the window in a morning and realise they have managed to make it onto your lawn...!

Lol, I'm lucky in that my big bill is very respectful of boundaries, there is only a chain that is across the entry from the turnout area into the field and he never crosses it :p

However, we have had to "improve the defenses" from the field into the garden as the alpacas appear to have a great talent for hedge hopping :p

frannieuk

Visit site
Love this post - I've just bought my dream home with a wee yard and 10 acres and the horses and I moved in on Christmas Day this year. Yes, the arena needs resurfacing and yes, I came from a lovely livery yard, but OMG, the joy of pottering out in my jammies to feed, the complete peace and quiet and the total freedom is the best thing ever. I absolutely love it.

Nudibranch

Visit site
Yes, I think I've been lucky. Had them at home as a kid, then a yard with nobody else on it when I first moved up here. Back to having them at home and I would honestly have to think very hard about having horses at all, if livery was the only way. Had to use a big yard for a few months once and hated it.
Horses at home without a doubt.

Makemineacob

Visit site
I'm two years down the line of having them at home, I have my favourite sofa (hubby has his!) and from mine I can see all the stables and watch the heads popping in and out during the night. They have got wise though and watch for when I go into the kitchen and neigh and then I can't resist popping out to give kisses.

Being able to pop out in your pjs to do breakfasts is a real treat and having no bitching to contend with is worth it's weight in gold. Yes I am less motivated as on my own but my horses don't care and everything is very chilled and peaceful.

Anyone in the position of considering it... Go for it! Yes, it comes with a lot more maintenance etc but well worth it! It's taken me 38 years to achieve the dream but worth the years of waiting.

A lovely happy thread :)