Oh Lord what would you do?

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I'm sorry you are having such a difficult time. Can you get your farrier to try to locate the abscess? I find that they are usually much better at it than vets. I once stood in my yard and watched the vet, who was actually here to sedate a difficult to trim horse, inspect a hoof for an abscess and be unable to locate it. The farrier found one in each back hoof and promptly dealt with them. That didn't make the horse any esier to trim though!
As PSD says bute hinders the development of abscesses, as it is an anti-inflammatory, could your vet find a different form of pain relief?

HeresHoping

Visit site
I'm sorry you are having such a difficult time. Can you get your farrier to try to locate the abscess? I find that they are usually much better at it than vets. I once stood in my yard and watched the vet, who was actually here to sedate a difficult to trim horse, inspect a hoof for an abscess and be unable to locate it. The farrier found one in each back hoof and promptly dealt with them. That didn't make the horse any esier to trim though!
As PSD says bute hinders the development of abscesses, as it is an anti-inflammatory, could your vet find a different form of pain relief?

Thanks. We found the abscess. Just didn't want to dig too deep while stuck in a field in the peeing rain. The bute was to get the pony to move, unkink and enable us to get to the stables. We discussed ongoing pain relief. One bute this morning. If still on two legs, one tomorrow. But that's it. We need to not have an anti-inflammatory response going on. Hopefully, with a coronet band on fire, it will come out the top.

LadyGascoyne

Visit site
What an awful time.

I’m so sorry about your dad. I hope pony sorts herself out quickly and you can have one less thing on your plate. I know what you mean about your mum regressing, mine did when we lost my dad and it was incredibly emotionally exhausting. I hope someone is there to support you, as it sounds like you’re doing a lot of supporting.

HeresHoping

Visit site
She has gone. She was in so much pain. She was still on two legs this morning and no pus. I couldn't get her out of the stable this morning. She had done 2 poos only through the night and her pee was dark brown. She had pulses in all 4 feet so having staved off lami in the field, bringing her in did it for her. I called the vet back out and said please tell me what you think and I could see he thought it futile. So my little horse who saved my sanity through the hell of the last 5 year's has gone. I knew it was coming. I just didn't expect it right now or to be so quick. I just thought she'd get stiffer and stiffer, or tgere would be a melanoma somewhere there shouldn't be, and then I'd know it was time. Thing is, living out, she'd been brilliant all winter and all through Spring.

Baywonder

Visit site
Oh no, I am so, so sorry. :( We all had everything crossed hoping for a positive outcome. At least your girl is not in pain any more, and you can hold your head high knowing you did the very best for her right up until the very end. It really is s**** when we lose our dearest equine friends.

Sending you huge virtual hugs. Take care.

RHM

Visit site
So sorry to read this, thinking about you in this awful time. Take some comfort from knowing you did the best by your friend xx

Jules111

Visit site
I'm so sorry, I think making the right decision at the right time is the most kindness we can offer our animals. I hope you have some support around you to give you a very big hug and pour whatever helps you through tonight.

Dreamer2020

Visit site
I'm so sorry HH & whilst i know i can't say anything to take the pain away i am sending you a big virtual hug. Your lovely girl will always know how much you loved her xx

PSD

Visit site
Oh I’m heartbroken for you. I’m so sorry, nothing I can say will make it any less painful though. Take care of yourself x

View

Visit site
Oh I am so sorry. She was lucky to have someone who put her needs first.

Hugs. It hurts so much, nothing I can say will lessen the pain, but please look after yourself.