Oh No I'm the yard moaner !!!!!

tubby1

Visit site
I moved to a new yard a couple of weeks ago and it's been great. Small, brand new , indoor school, nice people etc. Yard owner us nice , very obliging but can be a but naive. When we visited we were told horses would go out in 2 fields of 4/5 horses for daily turnout until summer fields were available. Well after waiting 2 weeks for turnout to be ready , I was looking forward to getting my guys out and suddenly 3 new grass liveries turned up . ( there weren't meant to be any ) and there is only one field. So they wanted me to just turn my 2 out in a field with 10 horses they haven't met . I refused to turn mine out because they haven't been out for 2 weeks and I didn't want them hooleying around a new field with 10 unknown horses. I know that horses will have their issues and have to sort out pecking order but surely introductions can be done gradually. Now my issue is firstly the grass liveries are going to trash the field being out 24/7and ours are only getting out for a couple of hours and secondly I am just being too precious about my horses and lastly I really like this yard and don't want to move but I feel the turnout was what I moved for and now it's not happening. I was so looking forward to them being out during the day now they are stuck in again . Sorry for long post xx

L&M

Visit site
I would not be happy - if it was me I would be discussing it with the YO and if no solution could be met, would be looking to go elsewhere.

Like you, I would be very reluctant to turn out fresh horses into a such a large and new herd….

friesian76

Visit site
No you're not I would feel the same. You were told something that's clearly changed without any consultation which isn't really fair. Is the owner horsey himself/herself? Would they be happy if it was their horses?

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
The livery arrangements have been changed considerably from what was promised. This very often happens when the YO isn't horsey & probably doesn't even see a problem. Are there any other liveries & do they think the same as you? If so it's better to approach the YO together rather than just one, that gives the arguement more weight. Hopefully something my be bresolved, if not then you may well need to find somewhere else.

Darkwater

Visit site
I would be annoyed too. Not sure if its an option for you, or something you'd want, but can you ask to put yours on grass livery too? That way you could just have them out with the other 3 instead of a field full of 10? If not, I would be telling the YO that you will have to look elsewhere if she can't offer you a solution. Good luck

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
I can't believe the number of yards that expect new horses just to go straight in with the herd. I am a YO and wouldn't dream of doing that. New horses get turned out in a separate paddock next to the horses they will be turned out with. This is for at least a week. Sometimes it has been as long as a month if there is a lot of squealing going on. OP you are absolutely in the right.

tubby1

Visit site
Thankyou so much for your replies , I am going to speak to the yard owner tommorow . I was beginning to think my thinking was wrong. I have a big gangly WB who would be guaranteed to be injured .

Arzada

Visit site
I really like this yard and don't want to move but I feel the turnout was what I moved for and now it's not happening. I was so looking forward to them being out during the day now they are stuck in again . Sorry for long post xx
I would not be liking, let alone really liking, a yard that did this to me.

Shilasdair

Patting her thylacine
Visit site
I don't think you're moaning either. You moved with a verbal contract of the services and facilities you'd receive and now that's been altered.

If you were to say 'Yes, I agreed £100 a week livery but I'm now going to pay £70 instead' I'm sure the YO would be reminding you of the contract.

Stick to your guns (nicely) and if you can't reach a solution, time to look for a new yard. Good luck - it's always such hassle, isn't it?

S :)

ajb

Visit site
well im a yard owner and have to say im horrified!!..my policy is always to keep seperate until like another poster im happy they have settled and accepted neighbours etc...I too am always amazed at the number of liveries that turn up and think they have to put their horse out into a herd!...also I would be upset as a livery that you have kept your horse in 2 weeks...why on earth hasnt it been able to be turned out from day 1???... just a thought could you perhaps if you really want to stay (and I personally wouldnt as they have failed to deliver at the first stage ) buy some tape and make a paddock for him??

Firefly9410

Visit site
I have only once been on a yard that does not expect you to turn straight out into a large herd. I try to time it so that mine is first out that day so gets to meet everyone one by one as they are put out or wait until the weekend when a lot have gone out riding so there are less horses for the first turnout session.

Elsbells

Visit site
I won't put out in a mixed herd anyway, so what your describing would be a thing of complete nightmares for me I'm afraid.

Your horse, your call........period!!

Michen

Visit site
I would move. I would never, ever have my horse on any yard that didn't offer year round turnout. Even if he's just standing in a **** pit of a field for a few hours a day.