Oh no...

Solo1

Visit site
I haven't been able to get down the yard for a week so put pony on full livery. Unfortunatly this co-incides with YO going away and a new groom left in charge.

Now Ruby is an escape artists, and managed to wiggle from her lami-paddock and into the other side of the field with the very very lush grass. Have established that she's been there for 6 days as technically she was in the right field, just the wrong side of the fence, and groom didn't know!

I realise it's not the groom's fault, but this pony was a little overweight anyway hence being on lami paddock, and now she's blown up like a balloon. I'm really worried about lami and how to get the weight off her - before she was a 3.5ish and could see ribs when she turned her head but now there's no sight of ribs, a cresty neck and fat pads everywhere. I'm mortified - never knew she could pile on the weight so quickly!

Absolutely gutted, have worked so hard to keep her weight down and it's all gone to pot :(

Snowysadude

Visit site
I feel for you. One on our yard has lami at the moment and another two are prone. Could you treat her like she has lami and soak any hay/keep her in for a few days. If she doesn't have lami do you have the time or could you pay the yard to exercise her twice a day?

Even if you just keep her in the lami paddock and exercise her I'm sure you will get the weight back down, don't panic :).

Ladyinred

Visit site
I feel for you. One on our yard has lami at the moment and another two are prone. Could you treat her like she has lami and soak any hay/keep her in for a few days. If she doesn't have lami do you have the time or could you pay the yard to exercise her twice a day?

Even if you just keep her in the lami paddock and exercise her I'm sure you will get the weight back down, don't panic :).

Agree ^^ Treat her as if she has the early stages of laminitis, far better safe than sorry. Soak all her hay and, as long as she isn't sore, exercise all you can. Watch her very carefully and be prepared to act fast if she shows the slightest unsoundness.

Good luck, I know what it's like.

xxMozlarxx

Visit site
Absolutely shocked :eek: that the groom or anyone has not been near enough to this horse for 6 days to tell she isn't in the correct paddock!!! Are you sure this is full livery, if it is I certainly wouldn't be paying.