OH wants me to sell my pony and get a "proper horse"!!!

StarFell

Visit site
My OH doesn't really like my pony. He tolerates him, but has said from when I bought him that he isn't a "proper horse". Star is only 13.3hh, and was bought as my first horse; never as a serious competition horse. He had a lot of issues coming from a riding school - he used to look like a giraffe when being schooled, and used to shoot off into canter all the time. I've had him for 2.5 years now, and I think we're making progress, but the other day my (non-horsey
tongue.gif
) OH commented that "I'm not exactly getting anywhere with him"!!! we've gone from this:
DSCF0009.jpg
blush.gif
blush.gif
blush.gif

To this:
P1040845.jpg

Now I think we're doing alright
smirk.gif

I enjoy competing in showing and jumping classes, and we do OK but we're never going to get past local level. He thinks I should sell Star (which I REALLY don't want to do!) and get a "proper competition horse". I keep disagreeing, saying that I enjoy him and thats all that matters. Who would you agree with?

hellspells

Visit site
I agree with you. If he (the horse that is) makes you happy then thats all that matters!!

Tell your OH if he wants a 'competion horse' he can buy it and look after it!!!

StarFell

Visit site
Hehe, don't get me wrong, I love him to bits and a lot of it is tongue in cheek, but I think under all the joking he does actually mean it!
tongue.gif

_April_

Visit site
Poor Star!

Ignore your OH
grin.gif
Star looks cracking and you're not exactly outgrowing him x

The difference is amazing you should be proud
smile.gif

soxsmummy

Visit site
tell him you are happy with star and that if he wants a proper horse, that he should learn to ride and buy one for himself"!

Daffodil

Visit site
If my OH didn't like my pony and started making comments, I know which one I'd get rid of!

If you love him and want to keep him (pony, not OH) then you do so!! Harrumph!!!!
mad.gif

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
Wow, blokes are always experts, aren't they, apparently I should be breeding my dogs to get some money out of them
blush.gif
he doesn't know one end of an animal from the other.

Agree with soxsmummy, let him buy a hotheaded WB and ride his way to showjumping stardom/end up in traction
tongue.gif

chestnut cob

community.webshots.com
[ QUOTE ]
I'd tell him to Fcuk off quite frankly!

[/ QUOTE ]

Couldn't have put it better myself!!

Gorgeous pony and it looks like he's come a long way. Why does it matter to your OH whether you have your pony, a flashy WB or bl00dy Kauto Star?
confused.gif

StarFell

Visit site
I think it's just because he knows I enjoy competing, and I was saying how I'm never really going to get past local level with Star. He's not really that horrible, just a bit opinionated bless him
tongue.gif

_April_

Visit site
We need to start a 'Star is Super' petition to give to your OH hehe.

OR

tell him to pay for your new one and have 2 horses ... oh I like that option!

ETS - Chestnut cob - I like your style, great minds
grin.gif

Sparkles

Visit site
Lol tell me about....I'm 5ft9 and got cassie who's 14hh....then bought a new one last year.....who's even smaller standing at 13.2hh!

LOL.

Pfffft wouldn't sell them for the world and god forbid anyone who tells me I should get a 'proper sized horse'.

CBAnglo

Visit site
Yes, I think your OH is right, and you should sell Star.

As luck would have it, I happen to be looking for a fell ...

Kenzo

Visit site
Not a proper horse? hmmm what does he think it is? a carousel horse?...Rocking Horse? maybe..beach Donky? lol

Tell him to look after and ride (if he can ride) him a for a week and then the week after with a 'proper horse' lets say a TB or a something a little bigger and just for the cheer fun of it, something a little bit special lol highly strung type and see what he comes back to say?

My OH comes under the non horsey category but has 13 years of horse experiences under his belt (not through choice) and he used to say the similar things until he experienced all the different ones and do you know what he says now?

''Why can you buy yourself a real oss? (meaning cobs be it vanners or M&M breeds) ''there proper osses!'' he says.

He can't stand flashy looking horses, hot blooded types, WB's and all these ones you see at horse trials etc he thinks there all big stupid ugly dangerous things (his words not mine!)
grin.gif

Your boy is beautiful and yes you have transformed him, don't ever feel like you have to mix and fit in with what perhaps your other friends have, your OH should be proud of you boy, he's gorgeous!

Nari

Visit site
Tell him to go forth & multiply!

Seriously I doubt you'd have more fun with a big flashy competition horse & you'd probably put yourself under pressure to get results. Star looks super, you love him & enjoy him & that's what it's all about.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
What a super pony. You look fantastic together.

Tell OH to find his own hobby and stop interering in yours.

Failing that - find another OH
grin.gif

StarFell

Visit site
Hmm, I'm liking the idea of him buying me a new horse and keeping the two... Might have to mention that if he brings it up again, I'm sure he'd soon stop talking about it
wink.gif
laugh.gif

lauraandjack

Visit site
I agree with selling your OH! Seriously though, why sell a pony that suits you? Are you realistically going to do a lot more competing if you have a 'proper' horse? Can a 'proper' horse go galloping over rough moorland?

My sec D is an overgrown pony and I love him! Sure, he is about 15.2 but he is pony type and pony character. He is fun and footsure and will happily canter over less than perfect going and is not bothered by any traffic. If I lived in the middle of Cheshire then probably I'd want a 'proper' horse - but right now my overgrown pony is just perfect thanks!

And so is yours! He looks like he's come a long way in the time you've had him.