Oil 2 Horse ?

Horsekaren

Visit site
I keep seeing great adverts about this product but am yet to try. Its for a heavy feathered horse with mallanders behind the knee, i clear them up with cream but thick scabs always form and then eventually come off and start to bleed, im trying everything but cannot stop them from forming

Is it the same as pig oil?
Has anyone used it with success?

SadKen

Visit site
I've used it. Don't rate it personally - did nothing for my mare in terms of helping with mud fever, and wasn't as effective as pig oil and sulphur, or our preference Keratex powder. I found it expensive, and the pump sprayer failed after 2 goes. A few folks on my yard love the stuff though. Might work for some and not others I suppose.

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
I've tried it for cobs with feathers; found it highly priced for what it was basically.

What I DO find effective - for feather mites as well as general condition of the feathers - is "Mitey Feathers". Think the firm that makes/distributes it is called "Old Style Horse Remedies" or something like that.

I had a bad experience using pig oil & sulphur on my old boy, it was the sulphur not the pig-oil that caused the reaction. Pig oil on its own was OK, I'd mix in tea-tree oil and/or Neem, and then put it in a pot and paint on with a paintbrush!

Horsekaren

Visit site
How do you deal with the scabs? the large scab is now coming off and he doesnt like me touching it. I rub a bit of mallanders and sallanders cream on it but i dont know if that is helping or making it worse. He is find when the scab is on but as soon as it cracks or i try and treat it he seems very sore in that area :( wish the blasted thing would just go away.

Ellietotz

Visit site
How do you deal with the scabs? the large scab is now coming off and he doesnt like me touching it. I rub a bit of mallanders and sallanders cream on it but i dont know if that is helping or making it worse. He is find when the scab is on but as soon as it cracks or i try and treat it he seems very sore in that area :( wish the blasted thing would just go away.

Have you tried antibacterial green gel? I find it great for scabs etc. Keeps them soft too. Lincoln do one.

Hollychops

Visit site
I found that sulphur powder worked to stop the scabs forming on my mare and the aqueous cream (bought some from B&M) was brilliant if any of them did have scabs. I have a retired grey pony that suffers with mud fever the minute the ground is damp so i use the cream all year round and it seems to be helping her greatly.

Merlod

Visit site
Heel 2 hoof is brilliant for mudfever/ scabs in general, no experience of mallanders but may be worth a shot.

GoldenWillow

Visit site
J can get this. I've tried various things over the years and what seems to work for us is sudocrem on the scabs for a few days then wash off with tea tree shampoo repeat a few times as necessary. Occasionally if this doesn't clear it up I'll cut his feathers off on the affected area. This seems to make a huge difference to getting rid off it and the surrounding feather hides the cut bit. Whether it's allowing the light and air to it or just that it's easier to get to the skin to treat it that makes the difference I don't know, probably a bit of both.

Shay

Visit site
Mallenders isn't mud fever or feather mites - its mallenders. Treating it as either of the latter won't work. (OP I know you know this - some of the replies seemed less clear.) I have a mud fever prone horse with mallenders. We use pig oil & sulphur on the lower limbs and udder cream on the scabs. I don't think it is somehting yet ever get rid of - you just manage it. If you cream (or probably baby oil as well!) every 2 - 3 days the scabs stay soft and rub off as they form. Just avoid the cream with hibiscrub built in - its pink and makes them look like they have bled!

SEL

Visit site
I know mallanders isn't related to feather mites but when I treated for mites his legs completely cleared up. Dectomax injections did nothing so clipped feathers off and washed with ivermectin shampoo. Great result on the mites and 100% scab clear up too. I'm not sure if that was because I clipped his legs or his scabs were all mite related after all - but for the first time in 3 years it all went.

None of the oils were any good apart from shiny feathers and helping keep the mud off.