Ok- another question, this time mud fever

matthew

Visit site
As below I am currently riding a cob with feathers! She suffers from mud fever ever winter according to owners so I would quite like to get this under control- I dont have much experience of Mud fever as my horses never suffered. Would you advise clipping the feathers off? I appreciate that the feathers offer protection but its really hard to see whats going on and keep the legs dry???

tashyisaudrey

Visit site
I personally wouldn't clip the legs if your horse is out because of the protection it gives, but I do see your point about seeing what's going on and making life easier, so the boots would be the way forward. I'd just watch that the boots don't rub. This would also help the legs from getting wet and muddy etc.

scrat

Visit site
If her legs are fine at the moment then I would not take off the feathers as they do offer a lot of protection against the mud. Try using pig oil and sulpher as a preventative measure. Heavy horse people use this and it does work. Try searching on here as there have been loads of posts about this treatment or contact Theresa-F as she has written a whole factsheet about looking after hairy cobs legs. Taking the feathers off and putting boots over the top may cause more problems if any moisture gets inside you will be setting up ideal conditions for the mud fever bacteria to thrive.

lottiiee

Visit site
Hi, just to add you can only use turnout boots (if this is what you are talking about) for a maxium of 12hours, so if she is out 24/7 then I would say keep the feathers!

Also does she have a particularly muddy bit of field, could you not corner that bit off! I have also heard about people using an old carpet to cover up the really muddy bits by gaitways!

Sudocrem is also really good and much better then vaseline as it's far easier to get off and works really well as a preventative.
Goodluck.x