Ok - How much would you pay for a showjumping youngster?

burtie

Visit site
As we have done dressage!

I'm curious as I think at the moment SJ youngsters seem to be mcuh better value than Dressage youngsters as Dressage is very much the in-thing or am I mistaken?

So what would you pay for:

1:) Just backed but unproven jumping 3 year old?
2:) Just started BSJA 4 year old showing promise?

Would breeding come into to it or just what you see in front of you?

MagicMelon

Visit site
I think it simply depends on what you want! I think more people SJ (am I wrong?) so serious dressage horses are a little bit thinner on the ground that SJers thus increasing their value?

Personally, I dont pay much for my horses - Ive always bought cheaper babies to bring on! Breeding does not come into it for me. Obviously type does - like I have to have a TB type as I event as well. Breeding is a bonus, but I couldn't really care less as its attitude and temperament which matters the most.

The price you'd pay is obviously very dependent on what level you planned to compete at. If your looking for something to play about BSJA with rather than compete in Grand Prix's then clearly you'd pay less (unless you were loaded).

I'd pay (again, depending very much on attitude, loose jump etc.):

1) £2500 ish
2) £4000 max

Kelly1982

Visit site
I think it is the same as the dressage youngsters in the fact of quailty but SJ's do tend to be slightly better value IMO.

Plus with jumping you never really know what it will turn out like no matter how much potential it shows.

My friend brought one horse as a 5yo with lots of potential for A LOT of money and one 4yo that was scraping over 3ft quite cheap. The 4yo has now waaayyyy overtaken the 5yo and is worth A LOT more than him now. She was even offered £35,000 for her the other day
shocked.gif

Rambo

Visit site
Ooooo....this is hard !

It would honestly come down to what I could afford tbh.

I don't see a huge difference between 1) and 2)...I would want to see anything loose jumping, and yes, breeding would be important, as would conformation and temparament....

But, if money was no object, then £50k+ wouldn't be unusual at the very top end....considerbly more if the horse was a clear world-beater (I've seen one 5yo this year that meets the description, and dread to think what the price would be)...

goeslikestink

www.hozhatz.co.uk
i agree with jh58

for exsample a well bred selle francias of three yrs inst 2-3000
its a lot more
as has many lines that jump so even a mare that was broken would sell as a valuable asset just for bredding alone
especially if she has cso, background

a proven show of same bred which i hope you realise i am using as exsample--

that has the same breeding and just started jumping would agiain be a whole lot more.
breeding does come into it , if you do a search on the intl sj horses you will find that they are ver well bred and lots of them are related in some way.

but if no breeding in gerneral
then as jh58 said
top wack for one thats just started out unspecified breeding
but had a nice pope - 5000 maybe a tad more
but in most people want a proven sj for there money
but then if it was me i would want to see it beening jumped at a few shows beofre i decided to buy as you never know if it has dirty stops and people just want to move on ..
then its worth what its worth, as market value of a horse of same hieght weight and type,goes backwards to 2500-3000

so it depends....on honesty of the seller..to

burtie

Visit site
Interesting replies!

Knowing how much it costs to produce a youngster, I would be prepared to pay 6-10k for the right 3 year old, if it did (or had potential to do)everything I wanted, and had a good temp and conformation. I am surprised most people would only pay so little as just breeding a foal will cost more than 2k for most people.

My horses sire's stud fee is £1k , frozen only so add another £500 at leats in vets and associated fees and this is before the foal has even been concieved!

If I was buying something that had not yet jumped under saddle I would look at it's breeding and see it loose jump before parting with any cash. If it was a mare I would also be more interested in it's breeding.
If it was a gelding and already competiting breeding would only play a small part in my decision as you can see what it is going to be like and it's not like it's ever going to pass on it's lines!

Helena88

Visit site
i'm just about to buy a 4 year old who has competed in seven four year old age classes over here in belgium with good breeding and having been loose jumped to a respectable height (hes not a world beater by an stretch of the imagination, but will hopefully go around 1m20s-1m30s well), and i consider him to be a bit of a bargain (probably because hes abroad!) compared to what you see in adverts in british websites/magazines..

tigers_eye

Visit site
I think the difference between dr and sj is the middle levels - at top level you pay mega bucks for either, but for something that can win at PSG (but not higher) you will pay more than for a horse that can win 1m40 classes (but not higher). Does that make sense?

Taz975

Visit site
I do think breeding is important if your looking at it seriously. And if your buying a really young horse with no record, then apart from make and shape, breedings something to go by. Plus, when your selling them on, some people get excited by it!
We pay between 6 - 8 k for just broken, good looking, good tempered, talented, well bred *potential* jumpers from abroad. We got offered 30 k for one the other day, so its worth forking out i reckon!

burtie

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
We pay between 6 - 8 k for just broken, good looking, good tempered, talented, well bred *potential* jumpers from abroad

[/ QUOTE ]

That's pretty much what I'd expect to pay too, knowing how much a good youngster costs just to get to 3, but I must confess I would try and buy British if possible before looking abroad.
grin.gif