OK, so I got bored on a miserable, snowy afternoon

Enfys

Visit site
I have always painted my stirrups black, but having just started riding English again, and got a new saddle (hey! shooting off on a tangent here, since when did dressage saddles come with these huge knee blocks?) I dug out some old stirrups that haven't been used for about 10 years and decided that they needed a new coat of paint, so I got a bit carried away :)

It is about as much bling as I can deal with, who looks at stirrups anyway ;)

12295464_894192267325879_1679442245601688940_n.jpg

Spilletta

Visit site
Wow! That's so clever - I'm only on my phone so can't see in too much detail, but reminds me of canal boat art (sure there's a term for it but hope you know what I mean!) :)

Enfys

Visit site
Wow! That's so clever - I'm only on my phone so can't see in too much detail, but reminds me of canal boat art (sure there's a term for it but hope you know what I mean!) :)

:) Terrible photo, but well spotted. It is in the style of Canal Art, if things stay still too long they get painted eventually, usually with roses on them. I had just never done stirrups before, probably because I would have to pay for them :( Tack sale locally today hmmmmmmmmm ............

Last edited:

Enfys

Visit site
Chan, Spooky pony, I use bog standard acrylics from craft shops, 3 layers of yacht varnish on top, although I don't imagine it would stand up to regular use (so, I'll re-do it :) ) I sand the stirrups before I paint them and use whatever I have to hand as a base paint - acrylic, enamel, rustoleum (generic hammerite spray stuff)

If you do have a play, I'd love to see photos :) and if you went out in public with them I would love to hear the comments you get.

Stockers

Visit site
They are lovely - it wouldn't occur to me to paint stirrups.

I also noticed the horse detail on the table they are standing on - very nice.

lindsayH

Visit site
They are GORGEOUS! I much prefer them to the blingy diamante ones that are commercially available. Thinking about it, it's surprising no one has cornered this market. I wish I could do things like that but I haven't got an artistic bone in my body!

dollyanna

Visit site
They are beautiful!! Would make an amazing SS present if you are taking part :D
I have black plastic stirrup irons, I might just have a go at designing something myself on them!
I studied canal art for my GCSE textiles exam many moons ago.

Leo Walker

Visit site
Chan, Spooky pony, I use bog standard acrylics from craft shops, 3 layers of yacht varnish on top, although I don't imagine it would stand up to regular use (so, I'll re-do it :) ) I sand the stirrups before I paint them and use whatever I have to hand as a base paint - acrylic, enamel, rustoleum (generic hammerite spray stuff)

If you do have a play, I'd love to see photos :) and if you went out in public with them I would love to hear the comments you get.

Enamel would probably stand up better. I paint with acrylics and seal it loads of times but it still chips with rough handling. Enamel is generally much more robust. I dont seal with yacht varnish though, so I might be wrong :lol:

Tobiano

Visit site
wow these are SO wonderful! Like others I am itching to do some too! I couldn't do anything this artistic but it looks such fun and would be a great talking point!

Enfys

Visit site
Enamel would probably stand up better. I paint with acrylics and seal it loads of times but it still chips with rough handling. Enamel is generally much more robust. I dont seal with yacht varnish though, so I might be wrong :lol:
Yes, enamal would be better, if I actually did these to sell I probably would get enamel I think. I use acrylic and varnish for my barn quilts, the shoes and milkchurns which lasts ok. The