OK: the 'last-clip-or-ruin-a-coat' debate

Mrs B

Visit site
I see a couple of H&H online news items this week are theorising that clipping from about now onwards will ruin a summer coat.

Other HHO articles this same week talk about the substantial increase in obese horses and ponies, often due to over-rugging, over-feeding and under-exercising.

It does seem to me that many horses and ponies in the UK would benefit from clipping whatever the month if they are overheating when worked, over the tiny possibility that their summer coats might be a teensy bit less glossy.

Those that show (and believe it makes a difference) will not clip from now onwards regardless. But for many owners, putting doubts in their minds purely on the grounds of aesthetics could be - to my mind - detrimental to the comfort, weight and health of the horse.

Any thoughts?

Last edited:

Michen

Visit site
My horse after I clipped him “too late” last year. I actually clipped him all through summer after this as it was so hot and he was working hard but certainly hit coat was beautiful after the last clip regardless, so I can’t understand this myth around it ruining a coat 6A36E812-0BB7-4EAA-B31C-62CF4EC1F2C5.jpeg6A36E812-0BB7-4EAA-B31C-62CF4EC1F2C5.jpeg

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I full clip end feb/early march every year as he won't have even started thinking about moulting by then and would get start getting hot. - I would try and wait till last hunt day as preferred him to hunt blanket clipped where possible.

He's always had a lovely summer coat though we would have a faint hind leg line a little longer than you might like for early shows but I could have bothered to blend ;) and much prefer him comfortable.

be positive

Visit site
I clip when required, my show horses were often clipped end of Jan or later my show cob was clipped all summer, the native will be clipped again next weekend although I did find my old boy had started losing his very fine winter coat today and that is despite living out 24/7 with no rug.

Wheels

Visit site
As I only clip 1/2 face and never the legs I tend to do my last clip in early December to try and stop the horrible clip line look come spring

albeg

Visit site
Mine is always clipped "late". He's always hung on to the last of his winter coat until April/May, so he gets clipped to keep him comfortable, and he's never had a ruined coat. I do have the advantage that he's grey, so we don't have variations in colour when he's clipped, but his comfort is more important than the look of a few lines.

Mrs B

Visit site
As I only clip 1/2 face and never the legs I tend to do my last clip in early December to try and stop the horrible clip line look come spring

I clip the same as you - half face and not legs - but if I didn't clip him from December onwards, he'd overheat terribly if I tried to work him beyond a walk and short bursts of trot - how do you keep yours fit?

Mrs B

Visit site
I think the clip date thing is a non-existent nowadays because people blend the legs so everything grows back together.

I agree but it still seems to be quoted every year as a cut-off point or 'suffer the consequence'!

Visit site
I agree but it still seems to be quoted every year as a cut-off point or 'suffer the consequence'!

I Clipped a shetland at the start of October and she still had clip lines in June. We clip the TB's at work as and when needed up until whenever. I think the latest I clipped was the first week of March and it has never had an effect on their summer coats. In fact Arthur looked absolutely awesome in the sun that wonderful day in April 2017 after his March clip!

rara007

Visit site
It's a myth I vote. The elderly shetland won't lose clip lines other than for maybe a fortnight, the 'normal' ponies will be fine mid may whenever you clip.

Leo Walker

Visit site
I clip all year round. Its a necessity with hairy cobby ponies working hard for a living. It soon grows back, and as I take it all off theres no clip lines to worry about. This year has been so mild that Bobbie is nearly blanket clipped and still warm in a no fill turnout.

Wheels

Visit site
I clip the same as you - half face and not legs - but if I didn't clip him from December onwards, he'd overheat terribly if I tried to work him beyond a walk and short bursts of trot - how do you keep yours fit?

He's working 5-6 days a week, jumping, flatwork, hacking etc and he might get a bit sweaty around his ears and girth but that's about it, he wouldnt warrant another clip now anyway even with this warmer than normal January weather.