Old dog and teeth problems

touchstone

Visit site
Hello, I'm just wondering what peoples opinions are on one of my dogs.

He is an eleven year old mongrel, about medium sized and he has developed several teeth that look decidedly dodgy! His breath is hideous and I'm sure his teeth and gums are infected.

I know the importance of getting teeth seen to and I'm sure they must cause him some discomfort. My problem is that this dog was rescued and has always been severely vet phobic, to the point that he will try to climb out of windows in the surgery before he has even seen a vet.

He also suffers from arthritis and is quite lame, although he seems to cope quite happily at the moment.

So my question is, do you think at his age it is worth putting him through surgery which he will find very stressful and due to his arthritis I'm not sure how much quality of life he has left. :(

Also does anyone know the effects of tooth loss in dogs and will he still be prone to infections? And lastly how much is it likely to cost?

Thanks in advance!

MurphysMinder

Visit site
Can't advise on cost as it was a long time ago when I had a dog needing dental treatment, but I did have a Lancashire Heeler who had a fair few of her teeth out in old age and she managed absolutely fine.
It does sound as if your old boy is quite uncomfy, with his teeth and arthritis, so I think he probably does need to see a vet. Would your vet do a home visit, perhaps the dog might be happier there, or alternatively perhaps ask the vet for some sedatives to give him before he goes to the vets.

touchstone

Visit site
Thanks MurphysMinder, it is reassuring to know that you had an oldie that was fine with her teeth removed.

I think I'm definitely going to have to pay the vet a visit, they do home visits at a stretch (I always get mine pts at home) but much prefer to see the dog in the clinic for appointments, but I will ask about a sedative for him, just concerned that they might need to see him to prescribe one :(

Anyway, I think we are both going to have to be brave and hopefully he will be
more comfortable when it is all finished, I think I'm getting worked up at the thought of it too which isn't helping! :rolleyes:

Thanks again.

Nicki85

Visit site
My 13yo Springer has terrible teeth. Interestingly she has always had bad teeth and although she goes to the vet for her annual check up they have never wanted to do anything!

This time round though they said she her gums are receding so she needs to come in and be knocked out. I expect she will need quite a few removed. I am very nervous about it all as she is 13 and I know there is a risk she will not wake up :( Her teeth do not seem to cause her any pain and she eats/ chews her toys still.

Tess also has arthritis, very badly in one knee. I moved her onto cortaflex for dogs and inflamex (devils claw) which actually seems to be helping already. Maybe worth a try for yours? I'm also going to get her a magnetic collar.

She is also bad at the vets to the point that they could not clip her claws and she shakes and growls (she is a bit nuts but usually ok with people...) . They will have to be done under GA along with the teeth.

It's all very stressful isn't it?? But I guess in the long run once it is all done it should give them a better quality of life and get on top of any problems which may occur in the future.

posie_honey

Visit site
my old spangle had about 6 teeth taken out when i got him 5 years ago - he was about 8 then - and he was far far happier for it - they were rotten and his breath stank :(
it wasn't that expensive from what i remember :)
he now has quite a build up or tartar - vet said not to worry too much due to his age but if he got to the pain/rotten/infected gums stage he'd have them out

Cop-Pop

Visit site
Bear had two teeth out when she was 14 - the vet came out and did it, not sure if she was meant to but she knows us very well and had treated Bear since she was a pup so was well aware of her issues with the vet. She coped fine (was able to eat again which tbh was her main reason for living :p ) and seemed fully recovered within abt 24hours :)

touchstone

Visit site
Thankyou all for your replies, it is reassuring to know that oldies have been fine after a general :)

Interestingly I found a link for 'Petzlife' which is supposed to help remove tartar and stop infections; it is mostly grapefruit seed extract, there are some good testimonies about it and pics, and I've had success with using this for other horse related things in the past, so I might give that a go for a few weeks and if no improvement then the vets it will have to be!

I have tried magnetic collars and something called glucomax that has glucosamine chondroitin and devils claw in without much success, so I think he needs something a bit stronger now. :(

Old dogs are such a worry!

Gosh Foxyfilly, just seen your post, that is much better than I was expecting, I am reckoning on about £500 upper limit! Hope it is nearer your price!