Old horse not travelling well in trailer, any ideas?

Paint it Lucky

Visit site
My old gelding (24, although he doesn't act it!) has recently become really reluctant to load, he will go on eventually but I think the reason is because the last few times I've taken him out he has not travelled very well, I can hear/feel him moving around, I have to be very carefull to stop extremely slowly (much slower than for a normal horse) or he loses balance and also he always sits on his tale/the back bar. I suspect his age means he can't balance as well as he used to, but in general he is still very sound, he gets ridden daily, mainly dressage and hacking so I don't want to not be able to take him out places anymore!

I have an Ifor Williams HB511 trailer. I wonder if rear facing one or a small lorry would be better (not really in my budget though!) Does anyone have any usefull ideas? I was wondering if I might be abl to modify my current trailer so he can travel backwards in it but this is probably a crazy idea!

be positive

Visit site
It could be that he is feeling some discomfort in his hocks, bracing when travelling will put extra strain on them and it may well hurt him, not enough to show lameness but enough to make him not want to travel.

Vodkagirly

Visit site
It could be that he is feeling some discomfort in his hocks, bracing when travelling will put extra strain on them and it may well hurt him, not enough to show lameness but enough to make him not want to travel.

Agree with above. Also worth checking your tyre pressues to make sure he is as stable as possible.

TheBigPony

Visit site
This happened with our horse, she loaded perfectly for 10 years and then suddenly started to become reluctant to go in. We spoke to a few people about this and they suggested taking the back section of the internal partition out. We did this and she just walked straight in the trailer. We have now taken the whole partition out and travel with full width bars at the back and front. We no longer have any loading problems.

Paint it Lucky

Visit site
Thanks interesting replies! I will definately think about taking the partition out then, is it hard to do? Will also prehaps get the vet to look at his hocks, it wouldn't surprise me if he is a bit sore there as he does sometimes start work quite stiff but I'm not sure if much can be done at his age?

colouredhat

Visit site
My horse is only 14, and has travelled mostly in his lorry his whole life - only a few trips in a trailer!

Since being on loan to me, he always has to travel in a trailer, he was travelling brilliantly around right hand corners but awfully around left hand corners, banging and crashing and making me a very nervous mother!

I've taken the partition out and he now travels fantastically. He spreads his back legs nearly as wide as the trailer (ifor 505).

Definately give taking the partition out a try!

PandorasJar

Visit site
I wouldn't partition a single horse.

Get someone to hop in the back of the trailer and see how smooth you are actually travelling. I often find that the slower speeds are when the horses find it difficult to get stable

TheBigPony

Visit site
It is very easy to take the partition out. The back and front sections just lift off the central pole and then you just need to unscrew the pole. You will need full width bars at the front and back though if you take the partition out. We took the back partition out at first to see if it would work before going out and buying two full width bars.

It may be something to do with his hocks, the people who suggested taking out the partition to me also commented on this and my horse has now been diagnosed with bone spavins.

farrierswife

Visit site
I agree with the above, my older horse was the same, fine until the age of about 20 then refused to go in the trailer with a partition. Absolutely fine with a full width breast bar or when travelling in a lorry so I would suggest going down the full width bar with partitions out.

Let us know how you get on!!

Paint it Lucky

Visit site
Thanks everyone, I know he is getting old and this is probably the main reason but don't want to admit it! I will definately look into taking out the main partition, I do have two horses and sometimes travel them together so I guess am slightly put off by the fact that I'll have to put it back in/take out again regularly but if it makes a big difference maybe I'll just leave it out and always take them out seperately from now on. Did have a chat to a friend about him today who suspects it is his hocks too, vet is coming out tomorrow for my other horse so will speak to her, see if she thinks anything can be done to help him, he is currently on a joint supp and devil's claw. Do you think 24 is too old for joint injections?