Old Mac boots or similar for un shod horses?

Patches

Visit site
Any one used these boots that go over the foot that can be used for hacking on un shod horses?

I was hoping to have some shoes put on patches this time when farrier comes but picking her front feet up is getting to be a challenge and i am not sure the farrier will be able to put shoes on, especially knocking nails in. Maybe these types of boots would help for hacking on stony bridleways?

Shantor1

Visit site
Hi

I've looked at Old Mac's and the new Boa boots for horses online today. I like the look of the Boa boots because of their innovative lacing system. If you search for "old mac's boots or boa boots" you will call up a few US sites who have done reviews on both. If you've any difficulty PM me and I'll dig out the path name.

I'm thinking of buying 2 pairs of the Boa ones for my TB x gelding who has started with cracked hooves and I've had to turn him away until the autumn!

cheers

JACQSZOO

Visit site
I have experience of both types of boots. I found the Boas quite difficult to put on and after 8 months of occassional use the lacing system fell apart. I also found that they had a tendancy to rub the coronet band.

I have been using Old Macs now for about 12 months - I find them easy to put on, have far better traction than the Boa and have caused no rubbing at all.

TGM

Visit site
How bad is she with picking her feet up? Don't forget you will need to pick her feet up to actually put the boots on. I know a couple of people who use them, with some success, but they have said they are a bit of palaver to put on.

sallie

New User
Visit site
My friend and I have used hoof boots for about 3 years now - including for competitions.

We have tried, between us, Swiss hoof boots, Marquis, and Old Macs. The Marquis get our vote, and are the ones we both use now.

Marquis boots are the most expensive initially, but, and this is important, you can buy new soles to put in them when you wear a pair out - none of the others have this facility, which means buying a whole new pair of boots!

Also, Marquis let you hire them - at least you can try them, see how you get on, and buy them if they work for you!
grin.gif

Good luck

Sallie
grin.gif

Theresa_F

Visit site
I looked at these for Jemima - she feet were very tough and she only needed something with grip for cross country. I also considered them for Cairo in the summer as he needs shoes on for about four months when the ground is very hard.

You may have a problem, if she is clydie x she probably has big feet. I couldn't get anything big enough for him.

Anyone know of them with a 17 cm width?

When researching the best appeared to be Marquis as you can use studs with them. Not cheap, but I worked out that if I pay £20 for a trim and £80 for a set for shoes, they would actually save me money with Cairo as they would last a long time.

http://www.equestrianselect.co.uk/marquis_supergrip.htm

Let me know how you get on with them - and did you manage to find any huge ones.

Cairo is having a shiatsu massage on the 31st - he is looking forward to it. OH arranged it as he though he could do with a treat.

Theresa_F

Visit site
Think most of them go up to 15.5 - maybe I'll get some for new gypsy mare when I find her.

Looks like Mr C will have to stick to bare tootsie or shoes. Actually now he is not hacking on hard ground, probably will go without all year round as soon as vet says I can try not having rolled toes on front.

patchandloopy

Visit site
oh right. doesnt look hopefull unless she is 15.5cm or less then-TBH i never measured her feet!

also i could hack her for miles and her feet would ware a bit but not exccessively-but that was on tarmac as i dont have access to off road riding-but where clare now has patch-there are alot off road riding with stony paths.

nelgonde

Visit site
Agree, we've got them all on our yard.

We reckon Marquis are the best but the most expensive too. With their inflation system.

Mine has got Boas, 'cos they have 3 bigger sizes than the rest.

For Boas check out boaboots.com and horseandrider.co.uk for a cheap uk retailer.

Fransurrey

Visit site
I've got the Easyboot Epics. They're an up to date version of the Easy boot. Much better fit and fastening system, very user friendly. I had the opposite problem of having a pony with small feet (he's size 00!!). I'm pretty pleased with them. Mine have a gaiter (neoprene) for added security and this also helps to prevent sand etc getting inside the boot (which can cause rubbing problems).

Re: larger sizes. For those of you with big horses, it might be worth searching AGAIN for boots. A couple of manufacturers have expanded their size range this year, both upwards AND downwards.

Patches

Visit site
Thanks for replying...haven't been on HHO much the last day so I apologise for not replying sooner!

Right..I can pick her feet up but when you start picking them out she starts either swinging it about wildly or rearing.

She will stand better if somone holds her head but to be honest that is not always possible. Back feet are fine....both front feet she is a little suspicious about having them messed with and can sway about and knock you over as you try to lift them.

Not sure what she'll be like to use the boots on BUT I don't want to lose a farrier if she starts rearing when he knocks nails or hot shoes her.

It's a nightmare knowing what to do for the best.

Patches

Visit site
That's what I am hoping for. It seems a shame to upset her strong feet having her shod just for the occasional hacking on the bridle ways. It's so quiet here that most of the little lanes are not frequented by traffic but the bridleways are lovely and at the moment I am missing out on that hacking as she is clearly not comfortable on the stones and her toes are wearing a bit.

Patches

Visit site
Oh dear....Patches front feet are 16cm diameter across the width and heel to toe.

Didn't measure her back feet but they are no bigger than her fronts...

Arggggghhhhh

Tia

Visit site
BM - has she always been like this when you pick her feet up? How old is she - I thought she was old enough that this sort of stuff should be part of the normal daily routine and she really shouldn't be a handful like this for such a trivial thing. Has she never been shod? God it must be really putting you off, if you can't even do a simple thing like this!

As to Old Mac's - I have some and they are great. I found that they are actually very big-made! I measured Cloud's feet and bought the size for her and they are much bigger than she needs but they did the job anyway. When I bought them the lady in the shop said that if they didn't fit I could take them back and she would give me my money back - but I never did.

Patches

Visit site
Tia,

Patches is 7 years old. She's always been a bit fidgety about having her feet picked but usually once you make a firm grab for it she give up and stands still. However it is much worse since I had to treat her feet for the thrush. I'm assuming she is thinking it is still going to hurt and would rather I didn't mess with her foot.

Her other front foot I think Lucy did have a few problems with as she had treated her for mud fever over winter. She is clearly a horse that will hold a grudge! However, although she still moves sideways away from me when I try to pick it, once I have picked it up she is usually a little more co-operative.

She's never been shod as she never needed shoes on before. She's got hard strong feet, my farrier confirmed this, but we hack across a lot of bridleways which are quite coarse stones and she is clearly not quite so comfy a mile or so down the lane and becomes pottery.

If someone holds her head while I pick her feet she is fine...however that is not always feasible as hubby is often busy with the cows when I want to ride.

My farrier has only trimmed her once before and she reared two or three times in her inpatient attempts to tell him she'd had enough of him holding her feet up. She rears to get away from you.

This is why I thought the boots might be a good idea, although I would need help putting them on as well I am sure.

It was only an idea. She's a sweetheart and it is just one incredibly small little gripe and I was just trying to think of a way of making things less traumatic for her.

Tia

Visit site
What if she didn't like you putting on the boots though? I think they are great but they are a little bit of fuffing around until you get the hang of it.

Theresa_F

Visit site
Jemima had issues with feet and injections - she had been roughly treated in the past. She was not naughty, just frightened. Would pull away and half rear and snatch her feet away.

I found taking things very quietly and taking her attention away with food assisted. I often did her feet whilst feeding her. With the farrier, I stood and had a bucket of treats with me which I rattled and feed one at a time. Her attention was totally fixed on me and the treats. Gradually the time between giving of minty cubes were reduced.

She is now fine to have her feet done and no problems with jabs and can be shoed without anyone being around to assist the farrier. It took about 8 months for her to realise that standing still = treats and fuss. I was also careful to ensure that she was handled gently and with as little discomfort as possible.

When clipping for the first time I made sure she was hungry and put a large net of hayledge in front of her - result full clip including bottom half of head no problem.

Cairo is also bribed with hayledge. Clydies do hace long memories. Cairo took ages to persuade to box again - he associated the box with pain as he was always travelling to have exams and more operations.

Now just sniffs the hayledge and off up the ramp he is. He also knows when we go out, he is often on display with lots of people to fuss him.

He is going to the Harlow Show on the 4th September - he has done this for several years and really enjoys himself.

Patches

Visit site
Awwww...you have worked wonders.

aher amazingly. Her horses are viewed in the same way as I view mine...pets and family members that we also happen enjoy riding too.

As you say, she has a long memory and he most definately associates having her front feet lifted with previous treatments that she has received for the mud fever and the thrush. I am sure in time that she will improve although of course it's not very helpful right now as I need to pick her feet at least twice a day to make sure she has no re-occurance of the thrush.

Thanks for your tips...will try a bucket of treats next time.

Patches

Visit site
Yeah...I know that is a consideration. I might see how she gets on with the farrier first.

I would try something like Sedalin with her to chill her out a bit but in my previous experiences of acp gel it's useless and has little or no effect.

agsie

Visit site
I use old macs for roadwork and competition use and they are excellent!
Good for comfort, traction and ease of use.
Definatally worth buying!

debbieftighe

New User
Visit site
Hi,

I have just ordered easyboot bares for my lad from www.thesaddleryshop.co.uk http://www.thesaddleryshop.co.uk/index.php/cPath/296_298

I have an ardennes gelding heavy horse, and the boots on this site (includes boas etc) go up to just over 19cm in width and length. I still can't get any for my horses front feet yet
frown.gif
, but luckily it is the back he needs them for at the mo.
The link below gives usefull info about the different uses and types of boots that easyboot make (i.e. Boa's,Bares,Epic,Old Mac) http://www.easycareinc.com/

From what you are saying about your mares problems, Boa's sound your best bet,as meant to be very quick and easy to put on. The makers say that easyboot Bares and Epics are tough to put on. (therefore staying on for endurance etc)

The Saddlery Shop do hire them all if you want to try first.

Echo the food thing, I use clicker with my horsie. He is very reluctant to hold front feet up, and used to be sedated for the farrier. He has improved since I got him in March, but I am having massage therapist out as think that there is something physical behind his. Good Luck!

Patches

Visit site
I posted this a year ago, lol!

Patches wore the Boa boots for about 7 weeks on her hind feet before her toe had grown enough to be shod properly.

She's been shod in rolled toes in front and behind now for a year and we've not looked back.

I found the Boas rubbed her around the corony band, even with the gaiters in them. I, for one, certainly don't miss mauling with the Boa's to put them on and off.

Good luck with your horse though.