Old Mac boots?

JaneMBE

Visit site
Have posted in veterinary about one of my ponies.. someone suggested OM's... have just seen the prices
shocked.gif

Does anyone use them? How long do they last? Would they work for Lucky?
confused.gif

Anything similar on the market?
Not sure what to do!

JACQSZOO

Visit site
They are very good. They are however very bulky. It is difficult to say how long they would last - it would depend on how often you use them.
There is another boot out now which is rated very highly - easyboot bear.

marion95

Visit site
Old Mac boots are really good - easy to put on etc. Only problem is they are very hard to clean once they are covered in mud.

Don't quote me on this, but when I bought mine I'm pretty sure they came with a six month guarantee - not sure if that was using them daily. Anyway they are really hard wearing, so won't break easily and great for if your horse loses a shoe.

JACQSZOO

Visit site
I wouldnt touch boas personally. They can rub some horses very very badly - also the fastening mechanism breaks very easily. They are also particulary difficult to get on.

Jemayni

Visit site
My little pony wore Old Macs to give his feet a rest last year because they kept crumbling. They are expensive but think how much shoes cost yoou every week, then think the boots last you for 6 months not that bad.

4 set of shoes in 6 months = £200

2 pairs of Old Macs = £180.

Natalie_H

Visit site
Definitely worth investing in a pair. My TB has shoes on most of the year, but if he loses one, or has to have them taken off the Macs are fantastic. The great thing is that if you look after them properly, you can keep them for years for incidents such as these - like a spare tyre! I have a pair of the old design ones that I've had for 3 years & there is nothing wrong with them. He now has a complete set of the new style G2s - just because he is a spoilt brat really. They can be turned out in them for no more than 12hrs I think (check the website). I turned him out in them during the day when his foot was being poulticed recently. However, as was mentioned above, this time of year they can get very wet if turned out in them.

Tia

Visit site
As others have said - they are great!!

I've had mine for years and they are still going strong, however I don't use them constantly. When Cloud had laminitis she wore them for about 3 months and they just didn't seem to wear down at all.

JaneMBE

Visit site
Ok, I shall see if I can stretch the budget to get a pair for her until her foot is better
smile.gif

She is only used for hacking for an hour or so at weekends, winter is bloody slow for us!
Fair weather riders......

sarah23

Visit site
I have a pair of boa boots and i am more then happy with them. Don't buy them here if you go to ebay and search for the boots get them from America as i got mine for £60 also you can get old macs for a lot cheaper.

JaneSteventon

Visit site
I have no experience of old macs but find boa boots great and last ages, I only use mine in winter when the horses feet soften in the mud and they get ouchy on the roads. Laces snapped on them after about 8mths but they are only a couple of quid and about 15 mins to replace.

MillionDollar

Visit site
My friend uses them for her Welsh D. He was always lame in front when shod (due to the pressure or something) so she tried these and he is now completely sound! She just uses them when she drives him and when she competes him. If you think about it they are good value as they last longer than shoes.