Old mares having maiden foals

Sam3

Visit site
3months ago I was given a 12'2 riding pony for use in my riding school. I was told she is in her teens and yet to see her passport. Started to get suspicions of her pregnancy a month ago and had the vet out to verify with a scan today. Turns out she is about 7months pregnant, which is fine but then further investigation of her teeth has revealed that she is actually in her 20s! Not believed to have foaled before so this will be her first time! Does anyone have any experience/ advise on the best way to manage this?

GinnieRedwings

Visit site
There isn't a lot you can do at this stage except for making sure the foal doesn't grow too big in utero and that the birth is attended by someone who would know what to do if things went wrong.

I know a mare who had her first and only foal at 23 and the birth went ok. Some broodmares carrying on being bred in their 20s, but it is my understanding that if a mare hasn't had a foal by the time she's 12, a calcification process within the pelvis makes it more difficult for the foal to go through the birthing canal.

To keep the foal small while in utero, I would make sure that the mare has all the vits and mins she needs, perhaps Suregrow mixed with some sugar beet & a bit of chaff, ad lib hay, but NO stud cubes, mix or balancer. Make sure she is kept dry and warm with a good rug so she doesn't lose too much weight over the winter, but it is better that she does, rather than try and give birth to a dinosaur she won't be able to get out. You can. still feed her up when the foal is born and nursing.

As you don't know exactly when she is due, you will have to be extra vigilant. The birth must be attended or you will run the heightened risk of losing them both... investing in cctv is a good idea if practical, or sending her to a stud to foal would be ideal.

Good luck x

CBFan

Visit site
Bless her! I have to agree with the above.... There isn't a lot you can do now!

I would also try and keep her as fit as reasonably possible- even if you just do ride and lead with her a couple of times a week for the next couple of months, then allow her as much tunout as possible - bringing her in overnight to a nice straw bed.

good luck!

Rollin

Visit site
I really hope all goes well for this old girl. Best wishes.

I also hope you will report the vendor to DEFRA and trading standards for selling you a horse without a passport. Too much of this going on.

Sam3

Visit site
Thank you for all of youre advice, Princess foaled very quickly with no complications last saturday and is now a very good mum to a beautiful little colt :) As for the passport issue, i was given her by somone in a bad situation rather tham sold her and he has now found the passport and given it to me, so a very happy ending :)

caberston

Visit site
only just read this post now but glad to hear all went well and you have a healthy mare and foal! any pictures??

Cherrygarden

Visit site
A post with a happy ending, we needed one of those : ).
PS I know there are others today but this one really made me smile.
And definitely pictures.