Old you get the harder you fall

Theresa_F

Visit site
Is it just me, or do others find falling off hurts more/takes longer to recover as you get older?

My little angel got me on Saturday - nothing bad but I sat 3 huge springbok bucks before parting company and landed on my left thigh/bum - at least he is only 14.2.

No bruises - but boy am I stiff today in my back, neck and shoulders and feeling very sore. Didn't hurt at the time.

Don't fall off that often - not for at least 4 years, and cannot remember being this painful for a relatively minor decking - does falling off get really bad once you get past the magical 40?

For those of you past 40, any tips on recovering - bottle of red wine and bath helped a bit.

It's my birthday Friday - 43 - surely this is not the end of non-painful falls...... just don't seem to bounce like I used to.

claire1976

Visit site
Well I'm not 40 yet, just turned 30 but I can sympathise - I definitely don't bounce as well I used to!! Lots of painkillers and anti-inflammatories keep me sane and comfortable. I also have one of those vibrating massagers (no, not one of those!!) for backs and they are nice to relieve the aches and pains.

Rambo

Visit site
Yep....it definitely hurts more now that it used to. Probably something to do with there being more of me to hit the ground now than there used to be
shocked.gif
Nurofen and a hot bath should help
smile.gif

the watcher

Visit site
It does hurt more, and the discomfort seems to last longer once in to your 40s..only had one significant fall since I hit that magic age some time ago....broke my hip!
frown.gif
and that was bouncing off a bronc'ing 14hh welshie.
when you land on your pelvis it is very jarring up the whole spine, try some gentle stretching and twisting..in a hot bath in necessary...to loosen off

Dogbetty141

Visit site
Im only 20 (21 18 dec woho) and it hurts more now than it used to do last time i fell off it was off my boy and by heck it hurt i knocked myself out for 5mins and had to go hosp it was only a normal fall off too guess i musta hit the jumps cant really remember just remember seeing double or nothing much really. I did fall of from 16.1hh tho a lot higher than normal. Never really rode much that size before used to opt for smaller ones. Anyway it hurts even at my age.

Llwyncwn

Visit site
Havnt fallen off for 3 years, but yes, I can confirm it hurts more and lasts longer when you are over 40. Something to do with gravity im told (as in - boobs going south)! You were wise to drink red wine and I recommend the same per night for one week.

Dovorian

Visit site
Hot bath with Radox in abundance
Bottle of wine or other 'favourite' or Ibruprufen + hot drink but not together!!
Early night + hot water bottle.......don't scrunch up on the sofa, you'll regret it!
Yes it hurts more - so I don't care if people do think I'm a wuss now, better than the after fall agony!

TGM

Visit site
My theory is that the more years you have been riding, the harder it is for the horse to get you off - so when you DO come off it is a major incident and therefore hurts more! Not like when you are a beginner and you just slither off the side!

wandaful

New User
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
My theory is that the more years you have been riding, the harder it is for the horse to get you off - so when you DO come off it is a major incident and therefore hurts more! Not like when you are a beginner and you just slither off the side!

[/ QUOTE ]

Now that's an interesting theory and I think you are right, I don't come off easily and the falls I have had have been hard and usually the horse has gone as well. If I was't now too old and stiff and would probably disintegrate if I fell off it would be worth doing some research. Mmmmm, fall off at trot by hanging down side and land under front feet, fall off at trot by flinging ones self off. Could be difficult to obtain any useful data!
smile.gif

Right from beginner level people are encouraged to stay in the plate at all cost and of course it is natural to try to prevent yourself from leaving via any door but sometimes could it be safer to take a dive? Maybe an emergency dismount technique could be developed? Bit hard when horsey has his back feet round your ears though!
grin.gif

Chex

Visit site
I think thats part of it, along with lack of bounciness lol. I hadn't fallen off in a while and had usually bouced, but last time I snapped, even though I landed on my feet (subtle hint I need to go on a diet?!). And I'm only 21! Dreading what it will be like when I'm 40 then lol

pottamus

Visit site
I agree...I came off 8/9 weeks ago now, had a back protector on but was rodeoed off in the field. I landed on my lower back right down low by my hip top...did not think much of it as no brusing came out...I was just very sore and stiff as a board. All that time ago and I am still in huge pain because I crushed a nerve (doctors diagnosis) and now have sciatica that should have gone by now. I can't take the pain over Christmas when I want to relax so have booked in for accupuncture and physio tomorrow...it has worked a treat before...so here's hoping I fix soon!

parsley

Visit site
I have fallen off once since I started riding after a 20 year break - over a year ago and I am still suffering the consequences (and will always according to the osetopath). I definatly think that it hurts more. I am really not looking forward to falling off Bomber!

guisbrogal

community.webshots.com
It definitely hurts more!
shocked.gif

I saw a little girl fall off the other day (about 8yr old) and she came off in canter FLAT on her face
crazy.gif
bounced and landed straight on her feet running
shocked.gif
I couldn't believe it.

I would have just dug into the ground by about 6 inches and never moved again!
smirk.gif
Would probably of wet my pants as I went too knowing my pathetic bladder control
grin.gif

Ooh the humiliation of getting older