Older mare not putting on weight

sjdress

Visit site
My older mare was away at grass livery over winter and lost a considerable amount of weight so I brought her home early.
She’s now been home 5 weeks and I am struggling to put weight on her. I’ve never had this problem with her, in fact I’ve always struggled to keep weight off her so I’m at a loss.
Bloods and teeth done and no issues but she’s really not putting on weight like I thought she would.
She is having 6-7 slices of hay a day and two feeds a day of Alfa A Oil and conditioning cubes. She’s turned out 24/7 with access to a shelter. Well rugged but grazing not great (still very wet and muddy).
Any ideas how I can help her, or do I just need to wait for the grass to come though?

sjdress

Visit site
I would give her as lib hay, how much does 6 slices weigh? Doesn’t sound enough to me . You could feed something like fast fibre as that is easy for her to eat and as it’s soaked will give her hydration as well
Ive not weighed it but guessing its about 10- 12kg a day. She usually has a bit left over which is why I’ve not upped it anymore

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
Ive not weighed it but guessing its about 10- 12kg a day. She usually has a bit left over which is why I’ve not upped it anymore
That sounds ok if she has some left over, you didn’t say that so I thought maybe not enough. How long ago did she have her teeth done and was it by a registered dentist as some vets aren’t that good at spotting problems. I would also have a worm count done to check because sometimes they need a different wormer for specific worms. Fast fibre can be used as a hay replacer so it’s useful if a horse isn’t getting enough fibre. Out of interest how old is she?

sjdress

Visit site
That sounds ok if she has some left over, you didn’t say that so I thought maybe not enough. How long ago did she have her teeth done and was it by a registered dentist as some vets aren’t that good at spotting problems. I would also have a worm count done to check because sometimes they need a different wormer for specific worms. Fast fibre can be used as a hay replacer so it’s useful if a horse isn’t getting enough fibre. Out of interest how old is she?
She’s 23 but in the 18 years I’ve had her she has never struggled with keeping weight on so I’m pretty concerned.

Melody Grey

Visit site
Could she have picked up worms where she was?

A friends young horse was struggling with weight she had an encysted red worm burden.
Last year seems to have been particularly bad for worms as has been discussed on here. Definitely worth worming/ testing. Tape worm as well as red.