Oldest chicken!

soloequestrian

Visit site
My old hen turned up her toes yesterday. She was 8 and I was pretty chuffed with getting her to that age (most of the others have gone around 4 years old). Looked online and the worlds oldest hen is 21. 21!!!! How does that work? Mine had a relatively easy life - free range, hatched a few batches of chicks so didn't spend her whole life as an egg factory - and she was still pretty decrepit by the end. How can they possibly go for nearly three times her lifespan? Is it a con, like my friend who had a rabbit called Fluffy for about 25 years.... except it wasn't the same rabbit, they just kept replacing with rabbits that looked the same and calling them the same name (never really understood, but it's a true story).
So how old have your oldest hens been and do you believe the age of the 'world's oldest'?

Bradsmum

Visit site
My oldest, Cheeky Beaky, was 9 and still laying 2-3 eggs a week when she suddenly died. She moved with us from Surrey to Ceredigion and I was driving the horse box down laden with stable equipment and other equipment when I got a flat tyre. Called the recovery people who asked if I had any livestock on board - one chicken didn’t really count 🤣. I can’t see how a chicken can live to 21.

Esmae

Visit site
I managed to get Shirley Silkie to 11. She was pretty well and didn't wake up one morning. Most of the time they seem to go until about 5/6. I have managed to get a Chinese goose to 31 before pts due to arthritis. I had both from an egg so the age was right. If it's correct then 21 for a hen is amazing, but personally I would doubt it.

Landcruiser

Visit site
My old bantam went on until she was about 15. She was amazing, never properly tame. She escaped when she was young and was gone for about a week - then found nested in the top of a thick hedge. She was a great broody, and reared some lovely chicks. By age 15 she'd eat out of my hand, just about. I was sad to lose her last year.

Archangel

Visit site
My oldest was 12 when she died. She was an ex intensive hen so had a tough first 18 months.
Such was such a lovely girl - always looked after all the new girls when they arrived featherless and shell shocked.
I suppose 21 is possible.

Clodagh

Visit site
If you buy say marriages with the flubenvet added (much the easiest way, other brands do it too now I think), the retailer should ask how many chickens you have and sell you the right amount. They need to stay in so they only eat the pellets (mine are always outraged!).

HollyWoozle

www.farandride.com
I can believe it to be honest. Ours have never reached a very old age but it’s a family flock and my mum is in control of what they eat 🤪 I will say that the accidental homebred hens have lived a lot longer than most, I believe because they inherit some immunity to suit their location. I’ve heard of quite a few hens living into their teens so whilst 21 does sound a bit wild I don’t think it’s implausible.

Ours are wormed with flubenvet pellets but you can also do a worm count as with horses before deciding if they need it. Flubendazole is the only U.K. wormer licensed for poultry use and you either buy the pellets with it already in or you buy a powder and add to feed yourself.