Oldest horse still being ‘ridden’

jkitten

Visit site
This isn't my horse but there's a pony at my RS who at 27 still does occasional lead rein work with small children 'when she feels like it'. I haven't been around long enough to know how she communicates that, but apparently she is very adamant on when she feels like working and when she doesn't, so they let her decide!

teddypops

Visit site
My Welsh D x Tb (chestnut pictured) will be 30 in January and still in full work. She’s not at all stiff and she hasn’t slowed down at all. She’s a very fast and feisty girl who power walks everywhere and loves a good gallop and jumping logs in the woods, brakes are a bit of an issue. She’s the boss in the field and takes no nonsense from anyone!

Rokele55

Visit site
Our first pony (rumoured to be the original model for mr thelwell) was still teaching young children their manners in the thelwell style well into her forties... A friend of mine had a terrific, if rather wilful, cobby type who was happily hunting into her thirties. Aged 28 she took off across a green field with her head between her ankles and caused carnage amongst the blood horses. I nearly fell off laughing but she was so solidly square she saved me, with a snigger of course.

Bonnie Allie

Visit site
Our late SJer was still competing at 25, still going on quiet hacks at 28 and passed away at 29.

We had him from age 8yrs and he was a OTTB who had raced until he was 7, hard with many $$$$ of winnings to his name. He was gelded just prior to coming to us and had a screw or two loose post racing.

We never expected him to last more than a couple of years due to his anxiety, fence walking and hard racing career. But he just kept going. We tried retiring him at age 18 but he would jump out and bugger off down the road for a laugh. Provided he had a job he was happy to stay in his field with the other horses.

He was seriously street smart, gorgeous looking but very quirky. Sound as a bell right up to the last 3 months of his life.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
It is in America, so I don't know if it counts, but a friend had a 36 year old horse still in hacking work. I queried the accuracy f that, but she had documentation.

While I was teaching a clinic there, her other 28 year old horse learned to jump, for the first time. She was exploring her horsemanship and the same horse went to a dressage show and also a versatility class. That horse was a champion, started off as a quarter horse race horse, then was a ranch horse (able to work cows), then a trail riding horse. He was bought for her husband, but was so versatile and such a wonderful temperament.

They considered anything under 20 as still young. It made me sit up and take notice as I wondered what they do differently. The area they are in has regular big snow for extended periods, I did wonder if it was because they had a couple or more months off a year? Or that they have access to a dry lot rather than a stable?

The horses certainly worked hard, using a small round pen or baked hard ground for work.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
My old horse was still ridden at 35+ years. At that age he gave my daughter he first canters. She’d ride him away from me down the bridle way, I’d shout him and he’d canter back to me ?
He also, unintentionally as I’d stopped him jumping 10 years before gave her her first jumping session. We were hacking round a field with some x poles set up and off he went ?

J&S

Visit site
This is the big old horse I ride. 26 yrs old and competing at arena trec in the sunshine in September. He won on that day and on his next outing in October. Had many previous lives but since he was 14 been with same family and he has starred at PC, BE, hunting and Hunt Relay. His trec life is in his "retirement"!! Hoping to still get out next year but it may be me who chucks in the towel first. We have over 100 years between us.

Attachments

• 119589060_10223392337539727_1792901505486956235_n.jpg
    119589060_10223392337539727_1792901505486956235_n.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 27

SallyBatty

Visit site
My mare is 29 (30 in April). Still schooling and hacking with the odd novice dressage. I stopped jumping her 2 years ago although she still sometimes jumps out of field on a whim. She is on normal feed with a general purpose supplement but I do give her cortaflex which I have done since she was 16 although she has been on the super strength one for about 4 years now.

canteron

Visit site
This is the big old horse I ride. 26 yrs old and competing at arena trec in the sunshine in September. He won on that day and on his next outing in October. Had many previous lives but since he was 14 been with same family and he has starred at PC, BE, hunting and Hunt Relay. His trec life is in his "retirement"!! Hoping to still get out next year but it may be me who chucks in the towel first. We have over 100 years between us.
Totally inspirational ?

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
My boy Sol 25yrs going on 26yrs

Our first summer over 15yrs ago aged 10. I was a lot younger too!

DEblTij.jpg

Recently out hacking. He’s hacked for around 1.5hrs 4 times a week walk, trot and the odd canter. Still throws a buck when feeling frisky :D. Not bad for a warm-blood.

Ww9efH3.jpg

canteron

Visit site
My boy Sol 25yrs going on 26yrs

Our first summer over 15yrs ago aged 10. I was a lot younger too!

DEblTij.jpg

Recently out hacking. He’s hacked for around 1.5hrs 4 times a week walk, trot and the odd canter. Still throws a buck when feeling frisky :D. Not bad for a warm-blood.

Ww9efH3.jpg
How wonderful to have had a horse for all those years - and still looking so good!

Snowfilly

Visit site
My local riding school has several ponies 30+ still in work, mainly lead rein lessons but also hacks and walk outs.

My old boy died aged 27, and had been out for a three hour hack the day before. Later found he’d been mis sold and was actually 30 when he went. He was still jumping in the field.

My Connie mare was 28 when she broke a leg and was still lightly hacking and doing veteran showing. I think she’d have gone on a while longer.

My friend had a 43 year old welsh who still did lead rein walks for toddlers in his last weeks.

huskydamage

Visit site
Nice to see these stories of older horses still happy and going strong. I'm still riding my 28year old, I dont gallop or jump her anymore as she had a tendon injury a couple of years ago. Although she still gallops around her field like a lunatic ?We hack and do the occasional hound exercise or fun ride. I feed her joint supplement and she has recently had to change to a mushy food for the first time for her teeth (still got them all but one is broken). I dont personally know anyone with a horse her age who isn't retired or pts, so this is a nice thread to see, Ive had her for nearly 18 years she is like a best friend

Mustard

Visit site
A friend of mine acquired a 13,2 pony which was too much for her kids, so my daughter, who was 11 at the time, rode it for two years. She did XC and showjumping, winning loads up to 80cm, and mounted games at PC and MGA. Then she went back to my friend, who took her daughter to a show one day. Someone went up to her and said that the pony had been hers many years ago - they worked out that it was about 42/43. She decided two years later that she didn't want to be ridden any more, and lived a couple more years after that.

daffy44

Visit site
When I was seven my friend had a little Dartmoor pony on loan, my friend decided she didnt really like riding, so I took over the loan, the pony was awesome, I jumped him, hacked all over the place, frequently got run away with in awkward places (through the middle of a rugby match...) and had the best time with him. I was devastated when the years loan was up and the owners came to collect him, but it was then that I found out that the pony I thought was 18, was in fact 40!!! The family had had him most of his life, he had been a successful pony when he was young, did a lot of jumping, a stint as a RDA pony, and they had tried to retire him several times, but out of work he became too wild, but they had no children to ride him, so put him out on loans of a year to keep him ticking over, he was an amazing pony.
I also had my own IDxTB, I bought him and backed him as a 4yr old, jumped him BS and did 1.35 classes with him, Novice BE eventing, and did a bit of dressage when he got older, he was still hacking happily at 28, and was pts aged 30.

still standing

Visit site
My friend is still hacking her ID x who is now a very spritely 32 year old. He does have Cushings and has to be carefully managed but he's full of energy and she still has to be ready to rein him back when they turn for home on hacks Earlier this year, before Lock down regulations, she took him to the beach and has a super video of him cantering along the sands.