Olivio/April/Nic01 etc - Scone training day!

FigJam

teamhopalong.blogspot.com
Hi all!

How'd it go for everyone today then? Manage to stay dry?! I had a full change of clothes with me as the weather forecast was looking so miserable, but luckily only had a little drizzle to contend with when packing up to go home.
smile.gif

Had a fab lesson with David, my mare was being a bit nappy when she was having to jump away from the group or a fence where they were standing around at, but was flying once we were stringing a few together on our own!

I need to keep working on being much more assertive and determined when riding to the fences as I have a tendency to back off too much and leave too much up to her, we're definitely still a work in progress!

Great fun though and jumped all of the intro course, funny thing is that the fences I thought looked "big" all jumped really well (log parallel, potato box, house, saw bench) and the ones I thought she'd find spooky (ditch/palisade, trak., straw bales) she jumped great, yet had refusals at the plainest fences on course- log (#2) and grey box after the ditch/palisade!!!

Got my applications in for Oatridge and Hopetoun, can't wait!
smile.gif

Hope you all had fun.

PS- Olivio, was it as scary as you thought it would be?!
wink.gif

Nic

Visit site
Hello, Well done you!

The world was conspiring against me!

Lorry wouldn't start, Dad jumped it & hydraulic ramp broke!

Had to call friend I was meant to be taking & get her to panic hitch trailer & race over to get us, move all stuff & pony from lorry to trailer!

Got to Scone & the road was closed! Anyway made it there eventually.

We played round the intro course with a few PNs for good measure & he was phenomenal, one refusal at the water (1st time I've ridden it since being knocked out at it) where I dropped him in front of it, took my leg off & said "go if you want" bad navigator!

And one naughty nap at the Nov & Advanced large grey box things that we only had to canter past then he jumped the intro fine!

He flew everything & has stopped over jumping them. He ended up giving one of he horses that was to lead us a lead over the wee house & got me out of trouble at a palisade that I buried him at.

He was particularly generous at the logs to the bullinch before the blue chair

Absolutely thrilled with him and David said You should be over the moon with that. I am!!!

Roll on Hopetoun!

grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

Olivio

www.thekickinghorse.co.uk
Ha ha! Jumps were not scary at all, Bailey was clearing them by miles and didn't stop once!! Sounds like you had a great time. I was really pleased with how he jumped but would have liked to have done a bit more - I think I only got 12 jumping efforts in the hour and a half & no chance to get moving & linking fences etc. Blooming horse was thinking that's a nice warm-up, when's the main event!

I have entered for Scotsburn BE80T this afternoon so I think I'd better get out SJing in the next few weeks & we'll just wing the dressage!!

FigJam

Wow, sounds like he was in fine form, great confidence boost before Hopetoun!
grin.gif
The downhill log to skinny actually rode really nicely, I was the "guinea pig" of my group at that one and I'm actually glad I was, clear first time and was sent on to jump the blue chair, looked back after and they were all having a good few attempts at getting the turn and skinny linked!
blush.gif

"I dropped him in front of it, took my leg off & said "go if you want" bad navigator!"

That's exactly what I'm guilty of doing!
blush.gif
I really need to concentrate on being more determined on the approach, or as my husband so kindly put it- "ride each fence like you just had a refusal at it"!

Have to say the road closure threw me as well and was SO badly sign posted!
mad.gif
I ended up stopping in at Perth Airport (although it doesn't look anywhere near big enough for planes!!) to ask for directions!! Luckily had plenty time in hand and wasn't too far away. Horrid steep hill though and getting lost isn't the best. Poor you with lorry trouble to add on top of that though!

FigJam

Wow, go Bailey! (must be 'cos you read your "instructions" beforehand?!
tongue.gif
)

Sounds like he did great but a real shame you didn't get more jumping, surely that means there were some fences you didn't get a shot at?
frown.gif
David was really good and had us do two or three of the more straightforward ones at a time and then the more technical ones we did once or twice (depending on how well the first attempt went!) on their own before moving on.

You thinking of doing any of the other training days or is it straight to competition now?
smile.gif

Good luck at Scotsburn. Would love to have a go but it's just too far in my wee trailer from where I am.
frown.gif
Look forward to a report and pics!
smile.gif

Nic

Visit site

[/ QUOTE ]
Have to say the road closure threw me as well and was SO badly sign posted!
mad.gif
I ended up stopping in at Perth Airport (although it doesn't look anywhere near big enough for planes!!) to ask for directions!!

[/ QUOTE ]

We did the same, It was appalingly signposted.

Olivio

Didn't get any further than the water which was a shame and missed out a few others (really wanted to do the corner). I'm thinking if the 80 goes ok then I'll start him at the next nice Intro (after 6 years of not eventing I'm desperate to get going again!!). If things don't go to plan then I'll see you at the next training day & I'll make sure I get my application in earlier this time!

It's a heck of a long way to go so going up the night before - I also have a wee trailer and I think the drive up, 1st event & drive back will be way too much for both of us! Will have to patch the mouse holes in my tent first though!!

Good luck at your next comp/training day - you're going to be a pro soon!

FigJam

Not that I'm glad you had trouble finding your way around it too, but I'm glad it wasn't just me being thick first thing in the morning!! There was definitely no yellow sign pointing down the road that was the diversion route- I checked on the way home!

Hope your lorry gets fixed ok before your next outing!

FigJam

You'll just need to get that handy OH to build you a corner instead! At least you got to play in the water which would have been quite a big ask for a young 'un.

I'm sure you'll be busy competing and not needing the training days, but will look out nearer the time to see if there's any HHO-ers going!

No danger of me being a pro anytime soon, but I'm having a ball. I've never had the opportunity before now to go out and do this type of thing, she's my first horse and the first two years of owning her we had no transport and two majo injuries. I just wish we were both 8 years younger, we could've had a real shot at it!

She's 16 though (17 this year), so we won't get past intro, but we're having fun, so that's all that matters. We're doing the Doune pick-a-fence at the end of the month, so will try have a go at some of the 3' fences there as a bit of a step up from the last couple of HTs we've done.

Good luck getting the tent fixed! If you're stuck, my husband has decided he can't slum it to Blair in our 3-man tent and wants a new one this year, so could probably lend you the 3-man if you need? It's only a couple of years old and only used about 7 or 8 times.

_April_

Visit site
I'm just back!!!

Was a fantastic day.

1- roll top - no probs

2. - log - backed off but jumped it fine - was spooky Figjam cos someone in out group fell off at it!!

3. - roll top up hill? fine

4. Skipped!

5. House - no problems

6. Straw bales - no problems

7. Green Thing fine lol

8. Downhill logs to skinny - most complex thing I have ever jumped! She refused the skinny but got over it 2nd time.

9. Blue chair - fine

10. Ditch Palisade - fine

11. Grey box fine

12. TRAKENER - was crapping it - they scare me - she refused 1st time but got her over it 2nd time and then jumped it 3 more times just to be sure
grin.gif

13. Potato Fence - no problem
grin.gif

14. Water complex - did intro and pre-nov options no problem

Finished with Corner to castle jump to barrels to saw jump - SHE FLEW
grin.gif

Great day
grin.gif

I even have pics which friend is emailing to me as we speak.

David last saw us a few weeks ago at Titwood and he said there was a hell of a difference. Am trying so hard to ride assertively
grin.gif

Olivio

Bless thank you. I already have my patches, I just need to get around to sticking them on - I have every colour apart from the one of my tent so I'm going to cut them into hearts/stars etc. If you can't hide it make it a feature!!
wink.gif

FigJam

Aren't horses daft?! All those spooky fences on course and the one they all seemed to take exception to was the log?! Maybe we were all being too complacent about it as it looked so "normal"?!

Sounds like you pair were on fire round the whole course, well done you both!
smile.gif
We ended up having to give a lead over the trak. to another group member- no pressure eh?!

Look forward to seeing your pics, chuck them up here? My hubby was rude and went to work instead of being my personal papparazzi today, hmph!
wink.gif

_April_

Visit site
To be honest the whole thing feels like an out of body experience! I thought they were huge jumps!

FigJam

I thought the potato box looked massive! (although nothing compared to the novice/int versions up on the hill!) It jumped really nicely though. So did the water, yet I thought it looked quite tricky for an intro, the fence in was pretty close to the water compared to other courses I've seen.

If we'd had more time, I'd have given the PN log parallel a shot, but only had time to do one jump over it, so picked the intro as the safer bet!

_April_

Visit site
Which one was the log parallel? I'm no good with the names hence my wonderful descriptions of 'the green one' LOL

I loved the water - my favourite part by far, Tara just bounded into it and seeing as my last pony was hydrophobic it made a nice chance lol.

Tara had a little look at the potato box and I thought she was going to bank it but she pulled it out the bag and jumped ok - I did it a few more times just to be sure though.

FigJam

The log parallel was fence no. 16 on the course, came after the water and the green fence with flower in it en route to the corner.

I love the noise when you canter into and through water, that "sploosh" noise is great!
grin.gif

Maybe she was just checking if it was carrots on top of the box which would have made a good snack?!
wink.gif

_April_

Visit site
Oh I don't remember doing that! I think we ran out of time so we just finished on a run from corner to the end.

Still not got my pics but will post them as soon as I do
grin.gif

My friends little 14.2 was the star of our group and did everything first time except the potato fence where he kept refusing and then tried to steal some of them LOL

Nic

Visit site
Lorry fixed, 2 new batteries, ouch!

Nope there was defo no sign post, we checked on the way out too!