Olympic Eventer lends a helping hand

Rollin

Visit site
I know that many people have been put off buying my Shagya mare as they think, on seeing her jumping, that she is a 'hot' and difficult horse. She pulls and throws her head. I don't jump but do flat work with her and have always felt she was sensitive, hence sheepskin noseband, micklem bridle.

Someone in the UK who was interested in her, seeing the video asked if he saddle, teeth head etc had been checked.

A member of the 2012 Olympic Eventing Team lives in the village so I asked if he could advice us. He now trains racehorses and is very busy, he could give us 15 mins to look at her record and make some recommendations for training. He then rang back and asked us to bring her to his yard, where a friend would ride her. 'Friend' was soon getting fantastic results. Head throwing just once. She jumped brush fences for the first time, on and off a big bank first time without hesitation. Friend, it transpired is a 3* Eventer herself.

His conclusion is that she is very sensitive and needs a bit even gentler than the French link lozenge, she is sensitive to the leg. I feel vindicated.

cundlegreen

Visit site
I know that many people have been put off buying my Shagya mare as they think, on seeing her jumping, that she is a 'hot' and difficult horse. She pulls and throws her head. I don't jump but do flat work with her and have always felt she was sensitive, hence sheepskin noseband, micklem bridle.

Someone in the UK who was interested in her, seeing the video asked if he saddle, teeth head etc had been checked.

A member of the 2012 Olympic Eventing Team lives in the village so I asked if he could advice us. He now trains racehorses and is very busy, he could give us 15 mins to look at her record and make some recommendations for training. He then rang back and asked us to bring her to his yard, where a friend would ride her. 'Friend' was soon getting fantastic results. Head throwing just once. She jumped brush fences for the first time, on and off a big bank first time without hesitation. Friend, it transpired is a 3* Eventer herself.

His conclusion is that she is very sensitive and needs a bit even gentler than the French link lozenge, she is sensitive to the leg. I feel vindicated.

I have a similar situation with my homebred mare (half TB). She is jumped in a myler with roller, and plain noseband. She tends to chuck her head with my rider rather than with me. Possibly because I am heavier, and just wrap my legs around her rather than use spurs. Thats mares for you.

Rollin

Visit site
I have a similar situation with my homebred mare (half TB). She is jumped in a myler with roller, and plain noseband. She tends to chuck her head with my rider rather than with me. Possibly because I am heavier, and just wrap my legs around her rather than use spurs. Thats mares for you.

I was really surprised that a different rider could get such good results in a short time. The Pro rider who jumped her with great success last year 12 clear rounds from 14 outings, constantly changed her bit. At the beginning of this season he put her in a GAG a week before her first competition - got 8 faults so that did not work. Yesterday, no spurs and no martingale either. A nice experience for her.

Rollin

Visit site
Yes, Jiffy. I think that will be possible.

We were on our way to buy another bit for her yesterday, when he texted to say 'don't' "I have a bit for her to try, I will get back to you." He now trains racehorses and is very busy. August in France is holiday and party, we have no competitions for any of our youngsters until 21st August so they are all enjoying some time out. I am sure that having seen her work and knowing the rider, liked her very much, we will be able to get her out on a cross country course soon.

Rollin

Visit site
We had already planned to take her out on a CC course next week before our visit to our neighbour. However, usual lady rider is off games at the moment. At her request I have put nothing of FB, hence there thread here. I am sure people will know in a few months why she if 'off games' but I am looking for a new rider.

Rollin

Visit site
An update. Antigone goes to our neighbour's yard now 2-3 times a week. So far they have focused on her dressage, she looked wonderful on Wednesday evening when ridden in the indoor school. I cannot believe it is the same horse. Today jumping plain fences, including a 'new' one a skinny. Two rounds of 6 obstacles, no refusal no pulling or head throwing. The trainer now trains race-horses so she is having a session on his gallops in the morning.

No photos or video on RaceRare FB page at the moment but a short video of Antigone being introduced to some CC obstacles for the first time. In Training with a local riding club and ridden by an English friend.

We hope to get her out to a competition next month.

Rollin

Visit site
She gave a good account of herself this morning on the gallops with a 2 year old TB. I am pleased that the trainer and rider who competes at 3* see that she has courage, stamina, speed and scope. Yesterday the trainer said she is agile - like a cat over jumps.