OMFG I'm shaking.

druid

Visit site
As we have three horses living out 24/7 that get fed we seperate them by putting the two geldings into what by day is the chickens free range paddock while leaving the mare in the main field.

My brother just went down to move the geldings back into the main paddock to find max wrapped in the chicken wire fencing. He got Bob out asap to stop him getting entangled too as Max had pulled a good 40ft of fencing off but it was still attached to the fence at either end. He got our attention by throwing pebbles at the windows. We all ran down knowing something was wrong. Bob had sheep fencing and chicken wire wrapped around his right fore all the way up to his elbow. He also had several strands wedged under his shoe. We were trying to see if he had any injuries when Mum spotted Bob had leaned over the fence to see what was happening and got his headcollar buckle attached to a piece of fencing the Max had ripped loose and was now struggling - we were trying to keep Bob still and calm as he had several sharp pieces of wire close to his jugular, we managed to release him (all he needed to do was put his head down - the exact oppisite fo what his instincts told him. Shooed him away and got back to Max who mum had been keeping calm. We managed to cut and drag the wire to get him out...not a scratch on him, those cob feathers saved his tendons.

This pen is lined with chicken wire which the horses cannot get thier feet through (tiny diameter holes almost like netting), they are in there for maybe 30mins MAX a day and neither of them EVER paw the ground while feeding. Just shows you quite how freak an accident can be.

barneyandem

Visit site
Oh thats terrible!My horse got his foot caught in chicken wire(the wire some how got between his hoof and shoe). When i found him at 7am in the morning, he was stood as still as a statue and whinnied when he saw me!Managed to get him out quickly and he had obviously been there a bit as he went straight to the water trough!)
I was so lucky that he was so good and didnt panic!YO wouldnt let him move fields and i was constatly worried so needless to say we moved sharpish to lovely new stables!
Glad your horse is ok!You must feel shaken up though!

RunToEarth

Visit site
Oh god how horrible,I hate it when things like that happen, you know you have to act so quickly before they panic and injure themselves more. My mare onces got barbed wire wedged between her hoof out hunting and I think the way it was positioned (on both front and hind offs) if it had been any other horse I would have been screwed. But she was so calm and patient whilst I pulled it out.

clipertyplop

Visit site
glad your horses are ok, i had a horse go down between a barn wall once, if you can imagine a well 2'wide and 7'deep runing around a modern barn 2yr old 15hh cob fell down into it landed on her feet but unable to turn around or get out, i was on my own holding her so she wouldnt panic, thank hevens for mobile phones, a friend arrived and we put bales of hay down the well and the horse climbed up them like steps to get out with out a scratch
shocked.gif

Bex7

Visit site
I had exactly that with Bert, although it was sheep fencing.

In his panic to pull himself free the wire cut into the horn of his hoof like cheese wire!

He had no injuries and quite happily mooched off to graze leaving me quite hysterical! (crap in a crisis) I had to call 5 people out to cut him free as every time I moved away he panicked that I was leaving him! Luckily JJ and co came to the rescue!