OMG!! My horse jumped out of field!!!

bellgave

Visit site
Have nearly just had heart falure!!!! My lovely four year old who is very wrapped up in cotton wool, has just done the wall of death around the field as some horses about 1/4 of a mile away were calling to him. He is normlly fine out on his own, but decided that today, (whilst Im home alone, typical) he would rather like to go and investigate.
When I went to get him he was galloping around and I arrived in time to see him leap out over a whacking great set of slip rails and disappear into our woods, I havent run so fast in a long time and found him trotting around looking very pleased with himself still trying to find where these other horses were!!
Luckily he came straight over to me when I called him (didnt do that in the field the B*****D!!!) And we had a rather lively walk home!!
He has not a mark on him and it has only encouraged me that I really ought to aim him at doing some workers next year!!! I was only thinking yesterday he might like a companion, so perhaps it was his way of reminding me not to forget to find him one!!!
Think thats enough excitment for one day, Im off to stamp in the divets before my OH has a heart attack!!!

Tia

Visit site
Yep sounds like he is telling you he wants companionship. Hope he doesn't do it again before one arrives. Maybe you should string up an electric fence a couple of metres inside the perimeter fence?

bellgave

Visit site
I have a 3 year old who is away being backed at the moment, so I am hoping they will become field mates. Have already dug out the hot wire, I am amazed though, he is a cob and is only 15.1 and the rails were about 4'8''!!!

KatB

Visit site
Lol! My cob used to do that over a five bar gate, he's 14.2hh. Amazing what they can do when they want!!
grin.gif

bellgave

Visit site
Like I aid he is (being a show horse) little wrapped up in cotton wool, so I have been careful not to jump him to high whilst he is young as he is a chunky chunky chap, "oh no, no higher thn 2'9'' his poor little legs". I am very pleased with him as we are taking him out with the Quorn soon, so at least he has schooled him self over a natuarl looking fence!!!

Lill

Visit site
Ha mine did that all last Summer!

If he didn't want to be in the field i put him in he would simply jump the fence or gates until he got where he wanted to be!

But yes jumping potential it sounds like!!

bellgave

Visit site
My sister always said he ought to be able to jump as his sire is Cavalier Royale (means nothing to me). Have just been to check on him and he is now snoozing in his stable, hopefully dreaming of working cob classes and not about how much fun it would be to do that again!!!

Parkranger

Visit site
OMG - thank god he's ok.

My mum had a hannovarian boy once (17hh) - my chesnut mare was in season and we watched him trot up to the rails twice and on the third time jumped straight over them.....nearly had heart attack!!

BroadfordQueen

Visit site
ha ha what a cheeky little hoss!

my old pony was only 13.2hh and we didnt think he could jump very high as he was a big chunky cobby type so we only stuck to 2"3ft-2"6ft stuff. then one day when we were trying to catch him (he was a b*stard to catch!) we got him cornered in the field so he turned and jumped out of the field from a stand still over 4.8ft post and rail fencing!!
shocked.gif

Gingernags

Visit site
Mine has juped out of the field before, the other horses were having a scuffle so she jumped the gate and took herself off into the stables! It was one of the big many-barred mental gates you usually get on farms.

Then last year she jumped a 4'6 wooden gate from a standstill that I was trying to open from her back at the time - couldn't be bothered to wait! And she's only 15hh...

Amazing what the little horrors can manage when they want to!