OMG! Never been so scared.

TheresaW

www.justgiving.com
Went out last night as usual, about 6 o'clock. Me on Dolly, my sharer on Mac. We are really lucky in so far as we only have to cross one road, all be it a fairly busy one, and we are then in Epping Forest. Just got over the road and were trotting along when all of a sudden, both horses spooked and spun and I came off. Both horse ran towards home, but Olivia, my sharer, pulled Mac up and Dolly then stopped and put her head down for grass. What had spooked them was 2 guys coming out of the woods with a huge umbrella. Anyway, Olivia started walking Mac slowly up to Dolly, and I went to go around her to catch her from the other side. However, 2 guys, who IMO were totally aware of what was going on, decided to keep walking towards us carrying huge umbrella. Mac spooked again and Olivia called to them and asked them to put down the umbrella, but it was too late. Both horses then bolted straight towards the road. I have never been so scared as I was at that moment. Not sure what really happened, but, as Dolly got to the road, she hesitated for a split second. I don't know if it was conditioning as we obviously stop at the road all the time. or if it was her panic, but, whatever the reason, it was enough. Somehow, the cars all saw her and managed to stop. Both her and Mac, carrying Olivia, got across the road and Olivia managed to pull him up and Dolly went back to the yard. The two guys followed me back towards the road, but not once did they ask if we were ok or if there was anything they could do to help. I asked if they had a phone I could borrow, but they said no they didn't have one. Not sure I believed them though. When I caught up with Olivia, she had called the yard and they had got Doll and put her away. I think we were so lucky that none of them were hurt or worse. Olivia seemed to take it all in her stride, she is only 12 and I think she was incredibly calm about it all. Once I had seen them all get safely over the road, I just started crying and couldn't stop. Feel really sorry for the poor people driving the cars as well, must have been quite scary seeing 2 big horses flying across the road in front of them.

Sorry its a bit long and well done for reading, feel free to help yourself to a cookie!

TGM

Visit site
Bl**dy hell - that is extremely scary
shocked.gif
. Glad everyone was OK in the end though.

sillygillyhorse

Visit site
It is so scary when horses get loose on the road and I do hope you are ok, but what on earth were you doing out at 6.00 p.m at this time of year, I would have thought the light was too dim and going to get dark incredibly quickly. I am afraid I am dead against people riding in the dark on the roads even if they do have reflective gear on.

Sal_E

Visit site
That sounds horrific - well done to your sharer for keeping her head! Really relieved to hear you're all ok.

Accy

Visit site
Glad to hear your all ok, shame the people walking didnt use some common sense, hope your feeling better now

TheresaW

www.justgiving.com
If I want to ride during the week, I have no choice but to ride in the evenings. Luckily, we only have to go straight across the road, not along it at all, and I do believe that what happened last night would have been just as scary during the day. If I had to go along the road at all, there is no way I would ride in the dark.

Parkranger

Visit site
God what a nightmare! In all fairness though mere mortals don't understand what an umbrella can do to a horse - do you think that the fact that it was dusk didn't help? My boy never spooks unless we get caught out as it's getting dark - then the shadows become monsters!

x

TheresaW

www.justgiving.com
Dusk does seem to make things scarier than daylight or full blown darkness. Both horses are used to being out in the dark though! I know what you mean about people not understanding how things can upset horses. I was out one saturday afternoon and there was a lady pushing her baby in a buggy with a balloon tied to it. Poor Doll was terrified. Had to ask lady to stop a minute and stand in front of balloon until we had gone past.

Dogbetty141

Visit site
My God that is scary!!! It happened to me once and me and my friend were riding and id say we were about 2 miles away from home. Anyway we were riding down a bridle path and these 2 men let there dogs off and spooked our horse. I was so annoyed as they saw us and just stood there laughing.

My friend fell off her horse and it spooked and ran off, now my horse is a mardie and tried to follow him but as he spun round to follow hit a big grass verge and fell over ontop off me. There was nothing either off us could do to keep hold of our horses. They then both ran off through fear and my horse hating being alone. Then they ran home down the busy main road. I couldnt really walk and this very kind man gave us a lift and we eventually go back to the farm and they were both amazingly ok mine minus reins lol. Its not funny really but i suppose you have to laugh about now, but they both could have really hurt themselves. I was crying to a stranger and ringing the police at the same time.

TheresaW

www.justgiving.com
Poor you and your friend, glad no real harm done. Very nice of the man to give you a lift. We have a few problems with dogs and their owners in the forest. You are right about having to laugh about these things after though. If we couldn't, we'd probably never ride again.

happyhack

Visit site
OMG!!! you poor thing!! hows horsie now!!! well done olivia for staying calm-she must be a very mature and level headed 12 year old for not panicking!!

TheresaW

www.justgiving.com
Went down yard before work and both horses seem fine. I spoke to Olivia before she went to school and she said she is ok. I said to her that a lot of people might have jumped off as they got to the road, but she said no way would she have left Mac. She loves him so much.

Theresa_F

Visit site
Hope you are ok, and having seen your two, they are big beasties to take off.

Mac is obviously very good to pull up, your sharer is tiny - must be the suffolk punch in him.

Strange how something like that can set them off.