OMG...so close!

Skhosu

Visit site
Three of ours got out on the road tonight. It leads down near enough straight to the dual carriageway.
Sister was taking her two out and little one barged out, hit his leg on a tractor thing (shouldn't have been there) and bolted. Sister's horses reared and bolted (one of them hit her hock) and out they went down the drive. The gates are a bit broken so are open at the moment.
So cue drive down the rode, find sister in hysterics about them breaking a leg as they have headcollars/leadropes on. Drive one way, hoping to block them off but no sign. Drove back up the road, turned into a drive and hey-ho, 3 horses grazing on a nice lawn with a nice person holding them.
They were very nice about it but my goodness, my heart was in my mouth. We are so lucky they turned up there for some reason rather than going onto the main road...
All ok, although had to walk them half a mile home
mad.gif

RunToEarth

Visit site
Oh lord, that is my worst nightmare come true, you must have been a little terrified. Luckily ours are far too greedy to run far, although one of the old liveries managed to get as far as the farm shop opposite
blush.gif

wizzi901

www.pony4u.co.uk
many moons ago, our friends ponies got out and went miles, all the way into Caversham which is next town from the main one!!! I saw them when I was on the bus lol!!

All safe and sound, bet they had a great time little boogers!!

TheBlackMoth

Visit site
There was a story in today's paper about three horses who escaped from their field onto the M56 motorway in Cheshire. Luckily none of them were hurt and the police came and got them back into the field.

If they were your fields - you'd be sorting out the fencing wouldn't you!

Skhosu

Visit site
Yes, our fencing luckily is secure and it was a real fluke the gates were open.
Was bricking it that we would drive down and find them on the road having been hit or something awful.
Gates now closed, just hoping that we can get them open again in the morning (electric)

GatefieldHorses

Visit site
my horses previous owner loaned him out, and the girl who had him, the livery yard only allowed geldings with geldings....he will onkly stay in a field with mares. Hence he jumped out, a fat cob tried to follow and broke the fence....bug took all 15 horses out of the field on a 6mile hack....oooops!!! hence he was sent back lol!!

Heidi1

Visit site
I know how you feel, some years ago two of mine and a friends horse got out, well let out really, it was dark and one of the liveries decided to get her horse in and thought we had got ours in, left the gate open (I never leave it open, even if I am the last person out), so que three hroses making there way into the local town, luckily for us they found a nice patch of grass. But had the whole heart in mouth thing and it scared me to death, sure that is what made me go grey early.
shocked.gif

Hope all are ok and you and your sister have recovered from the shock......

Blazingkate

carlingblacklabel.piczo.com
My horse has also done one down the road and I agree it one of the scariest things ever, I don't think I've ever ran so fast before! It was a really bad day as well. We'd had a bad fall at a show, so when we got back to the fields, we lead him down to the yard, which is just down the road, to hose his leg and to keep him in one of the small paddocks for the night. He decided halfway down the road he wanted to go back to the fields and spun round, caught both me and my friend off guard and ran off down the road towards a A road. He actually went past the field gate, probably because it was dark but then luckly one of the youngsters whinnyed for him and he turned back and found the gate! Now he gets lead in a bridle cause there is no way thats happening again if I can help it!

Glad all yours were ok!

4whitesocks

Visit site
On my last yard had an incident like that but not half as scary - was bringing in a 3yo coloured cob who has a mind of her own, down small lane (officially a proper road but a cul-de-sac) from field to yard.....half way down she had a fit and took off on me down the lane away from me .....I thought about running after her but instead went on up to the yard gate held it wide open and 5 minutes later Peggy came thundering back down again (had hit the dead end and had done a u-turn)....she flew past me into the yard and I quickly closed the gate.....the expression on her face was priceless "How the hell did I end up back here again??!"

Thank God no horses were hurt...must have been terrifying