OMG

kateknights

Visit site
Oh my god everyone, I have just come in from hogging my cobs mane, please tell me I have done the right thing...!!!...
She has sweetitch and half of it has been rubbed off anyway, I have had her for 5 months (didn't know she had sweetitch until I bought her home).
It was a spur of the moment thing, she loves rolling and after all the rain we've had recently, the remaining mane has been absolutely caked in mud every day, so after bringing her in just now and thinking, I don't want to brush what's remaining too hard otherwise I'll pull that out too, so thought s** it, it's coming off.
Please sympathise with me and tell me I've done the right thing...
Kate x

Happy Horse

community.webshots.com
Well it sounds like you have done the right thing - I think cobs look cute hogged! If she has sweet itch it will be much easier to treat
smile.gif

vivhewe

Visit site
If she has sweet itch and you were going to make a mess of it grooming the mud out then of course you've done the righ thing!

I'm sure she'll look a lot tidier with it hogged that with bits all over the place so don't worry about it
smile.gif

sojeph

Visit site
I leave the mane on my cob as he is virtually sweet itch free now we're in the field we're in! (open and by the sea so always breezy). However, when he was bad I used to find hogging made it much easier to treat although also easier for the midges to bite!! I agree tho - cobs look great hogged usually.

Tangaroo

Visit site
Of course youve done the right thing! I hogged my boy a few months ago and hes not a cob!! He had the most horrific mane and hated it being pulled and it looked like an explosion, even if you plaited it over it the plaits stood on end!. Now ive done it i realise the problem i had. It grows about an inch in a month, no wonder he hated it being done. He looks quite smart hogged and life is so much easier for both of us.

tchamberlain

Visit site
Your cob will be fine, the hair grows quickly should you change you mind anyway...

My boy used to stop itching over the winter if thats any help?? would start up again in spring when the sunshine and bugs(!) returned!!
smile.gif

charlie76

Visit site
I think you've done the right thing- will look far smarter when your cob gets the itches! We hog any of ours that have sweetitch as it makes them easier to treat.
At the end of the day its only hair and it will grow back.