On Box Rest :@:@

Frazer

Visit site
My mare, is back on box rest, today was out hacking and she gets very hot headed on the way home and when you halt her she well either run back or rear, well this time she reared then ran back and fell into the ditch and is very unstable and sore! I had to lead her back home. Does anyone else have this problem out hacking, I thought it was just to her being in season at first, But she has been doing it for about 5 months now. And napping.

threeponies

Visit site
I think its common for horses to be more forward going on the way home. Instead of halting could you try turning her in circles every time she gets a bit fast?

Frazer

Visit site
I do this sometimes, but I cant do it all the time because as I turn her she will just run backwards again on a circle and its more dangerous and harder to control. But I will try this still. Thanks

cariadssogreat

Visit site
Oddly enough I took on a pony to re school with exactly this problem. Tell me to but out or naff off if this doesn't sound helpful but here goes:
* Are her teeth ok , firstly, does she have wolf teeth at all?
With the pony I re schooled ( with total kindness and never looked back - ok it took 10 days - but thats not too bad is it?)
-Is the bit suited to the horse? May or may not sound silly - but with my mare she had a small mouth and a fat tongue - and was ridden in a stonking great hollow mouth. I ditched the bit in question and put her in a reasonably thin sweet iron loose ring french link bit, so as to avoid the discomfort in the mouth.
- I then took off the noseband and martingale. Worked quietly and patiently with her going right back to the basics.
TBH when I first got her it was a bit scary - she would slam into reverse and rear! Regardless of what was behind her.
I have the advantage of some very quiet hacking - otherwise I could not have done this safely. I suppose the long and the short of it with my mare was I kept gadgets non existent and went right back to basics. I was very light on her mouth and used my leg and seat firmly when necessary. I also found voice - in terms of Ah ah ah ah helped!

Frazer

Visit site
Her teeth are all fine, No shes 9 and had her teeth rasped about 5 months ago, just to check this! She has been doing it for a quite a long time, sometimes its not too bad, then overdays she is rearing and rushing to get home. She is ridden in a plain happymouth jointed snaffle. She is fine in the school, just on hacks on the way back! She is wearing a flash noseband which I toke off but that really didnt help and she just bolted. She has a running bib martingale, I have ridden her out in drawreins when im just going for a walk. When she backs up and starts to run and get uptight and rear, I give her all the rein! Recently I have started to shout at her as she takes her first steps back, and then use my whip to make her move! This works sometimes but others she will just ignore my aids, however much I push her on she just backs up