Once a bad X, always a bad X..? Do some issues just stick?

Shadowdancing

Visit site
When I bought my mare I was assured she loaded great- however like the idiot I am I never saw this. I would argue that she doesn't!
She does travel fantastic. But she always always has to argue about the process of loading itself. This is has persisted in large lorries, in trailers large and small, in my 3.5 ton. Once on and secured, she'll accept her fate, stand all day and eat food or hay till the cows come home. But for the process of getting on itself, we've had all sorts of evasions, parking herself at the side of the ramp and refusing to move, rearing up and to the sides, throwing her head up (always wears a poll guard, she's skinned herself MANY times). We must have a whip handy and ideally a second person who is not going to move! It's so ridiculous considering once we're on she's so not bothered!
I've practiced loading so much without taking her anywhere and it's just not improving. It's like she always has to spit her dummy first!
Question is are there some things you just can't train out of them? Will I always have these tantrums before I can get somewhere? At least she always gets on in the end so it's not like I'm posting to say oh god what can I do? And I'm trying to make it all so pleasant once she's on, and I'm not even taking her anywhere most of the time.
If I'm being a bit out there, I'd suggest she gets worried about loading because she had so many homes when she was a baby as she was passed around until she came to me at three, so maybe she just got too much travelling when small and now just never fancies it... but that's just me musing!
Does your horse have a little quirk of their own which means you have to debate something each and every time you want to do it? Make me feel better please! :D
Thank you!

Makemineacob

Visit site
If you need a whip and a second person to help you load then you are not solving the issue but exacerbating the issue. You need to get help from someone along the lines of an intelligent horsemanship associate who will show you how to resolve the issue and teach you more appropriate methods which the horse understands.

FlyingCircus

Visit site
My horse was sold as doesn't stand to be mounted. He now DOES stand to be mounted, so not a case of "once bad to mount, always bad to mount"...However, if I'm even slightly complacent EVER with asking him to stand and wait, he takes the pee. He'll spin round and round and try to walk off as I put my foot in the stirrup.

He also used to spin when spooked and touch wood, I've managed to be quicker than him majority of the time to catch him before he tries. So much so that now when he spooks, it's like slow mo. "Oh, that's scary..wait omg that's REALLY scary..ok maybe I should spin and run." But since it's slow mo, he's easier to have the "no, you're fine, it won't eat you" conversation with him. Another thing I just have to be super vigilant about.

Chloeap

Visit site
Mine is similar. Used to be TERRIBLE to load, but is now getting better.
When I first got him he used to rear on the ramp and spin round, then try and run off.
Now he walks up to the ramp, puts a couple of feet on and just stands there for a while until HE decides to go on. If you pull or do anything he backs up so I just let him have time (whilst I stand in the trailer with some goodies!). He is on a lunge line so I can give him space and this was useful when he used to rear and spin as it stopped him running off!

I don't go out much due to lack of transport but he is getting better every time! I think we were down to about 5-10 mins last time I went out :)

Shadowdancing

Visit site
Same Chloeap, we can get right down and then it bobs back up again... Superfrustrating. BTW, you don't even need to use the whip and the second person doesn't have to do anything, their mere presence does the job! It's a pain.

Shadowdancing

Visit site
I Just remembered that a friend of mine had a horse for 10 years and was never able to just put her bridle on. She always had to assemble it on the horse's head. Never hurt her, never pushed her, but she never got better. Guess it does happen.

Diamore

Visit site
always have a rope halter ready! my youngster has been loading on lorry fine since birth, this year proper threw toys out of pram.
after battling for 45 mins at a lesson we got her on, rope training at home solved that.

Her 23yo mum is the same, will also randomly for no reason decide not to load.
but re-established with rope halter and 2 mins later on!

Just accept it, deal with it and keep positive
If you dont feel confident/experienced enough get professional help

Chloeap

Visit site
Arrghh, after saying he was getting better at loading - took an hour to get into the trailer this weekend. To be fair to him, we were borrowing the trailer and it was quite different to normal. We normally put the front ramp down and open jockey door so he can see through but this trailer didn't have a front ramp so it was a bit darker.
On the way back he was not bothered about food and just stood on the bottom of the ramp.. but went straight up when I got my short whip out of the boot! never tried that with him before but definitely worked! Don't worry, I didn't touch him with it or even threaten. He just saw it and went straight up the ramp.
Some more loading practice is definitely needed!

Shadowdancing

Visit site
Aw sorry Chloep. I've been practicing and practicing with mine. She always stops and chucks her head up but things are getting better. Only two attempts this weekend. Lots of apples help....

Chloeap

Visit site
That's good :)
I have finally taken the plunge and I am buying my own little trailer! So he can finally have the regular practice that he needs!
Dinners will be served on the trailer from now on haha

Shadowdancing

Visit site
That's good :)
I have finally taken the plunge and I am buying my own little trailer! So he can finally have the regular practice that he needs!
Dinners will be served on the trailer from now on haha

That's great, I think that's what made all the difference for us. Twice a week, week in week out, whatever the weather cos I've got my own now. She actually went somewhere this weekend as well so she's loaded 3 times and I am stuffing her with food when she gets on. She's starting to be much more amenable. It's costing a fortune in fruit and veg but it's worth it!!!

Chloeap

Visit site
Yeah this has been a problem for us since I bought him last summer but I have only been out a handful of times, twice in 6 months at 1st yard we were at, moved to a lovely place in feb and have been out much much more since thanks to a few lovely people on the yard and has been getting better. and much better behaviour when out. But I think having my own and being able to practice every night if needed will sort our problem out! He used to panic and rear/run off. Now he just stands calmly which I think is improvement in itself. He is frustrating because he can be almost fully in then backs up and did this forward/backward routine for an hour on Sunday!